Great news to all you Lablogger users they have listened to us and within one week have inserted an update which will allow you to put items out of use until they are sanitised
On your stock list, you can now define a bespoke unavailability duration time for discrete items (beyond the time when an experiment request has been completed), during which time a given discrete stock item will remain unavailable,

New Unavailability Duration setting

Following the COVID-19 period, as schools are preparing to re-open, recommendations made by professional bodies (e.g. in the UK - CLEAPSS) advised that some equipment items need to be put aside or disinfected for a period of time after these items have been handled by a student or teacher, and before it is safe for someone else to use them.

Using the new Unavailability Duration setting for discrete items on your stock list, you can define a bespoke period of time, after a request's time has ended, in which that particular item will still not be available for others in your department to request it. Try it to see what we mean.

This new capability is unique to LabLogger, and we are very grateful to our exceptional developers who solved the difficult technical challenges this functionality presented.
@APM @Andres Tretiakov @Hands Solo @KerryLoz @stelden @Ophelia @clairelucas @williamf @Hannah B.

If you haven't already in 'Institution', 'Account Settings' enable 'Manage our equipment and Stock'. Then in 'Stock List' 'Stock List Management' enable 'Equipment Clashes'.
Go back to 'Stock List' and click 'Add New Stock Item' to add the item you wish to control eg Safety Specs
1595571125982.png
Once you've done this then your item will be unavailable for booking until the time set has elapsed from the lesson they were used. Obviously the experiment request must have the item booked as an 'Equipment' request (not general information) otherwise the system will not pick it up

Last edited:
If anyone needs help with this then let me know - Is there any support in setting up a LabLogger user group on preproom.org? We could then keep all this off main threads and have a central location for advice and tips. Let me know and if there are enough users/supporters I will set one up.

Setting up a group would be a great idea, I know there is a lot of support out there on the forum already in older posts/threads etc but some of that may be hard to find or out of date now.

A specific group would be great and help keep everything about lablogger in one place

Setting up a group would be a great idea, I know there is a lot of support out there on the forum already in older posts/threads etc but some of that may be hard to find or out of date now.

A specific group would be great and help keep everything about lablogger in one place
Very few people are viewing threads at the moment and I want maximum audience so we don't miss any potential members. I will wait until term starts before my first step of posting a poll to gauge interest and tag potential members of such a group. Watch this space ;)

Awesome! Yes I notice the forum has been understandably quiet lately haha.

I am hoping to try and implement lablogger this year as it would be the perfect time to do it with no practicals happening here until at least halloween so would give myself and my fellow tech time to set it up and test it.

Awesome! Yes I notice the forum has been understandably quiet lately haha.

I am hoping to try and implement lablogger this year as it would be the perfect time to do it with no practicals happening here until at least halloween so would give myself and my fellow tech time to set it up and test it.
If you need any help let me know - check your preproom .org messages
1595841544521.png

Last edited:
If anyone needs help with this then let me know - Is there any support in setting up a LabLogger user group on preproom.org? We could then keep all this off main threads and have a central location for advice and tips. Let me know and if there are enough users/supporters I will set one up.
lablogger should provide this as they charge a fee.

As they charge £100 a year, they should provide training and suport for their product same as other software developers.
I take it you're not a LabLogger user. This group would be for actual users not employees of Lablogger so we can share templates and ideas free from bias and attempts to sell a product by it's owners.
If you want to know if a product is any good surely it is better to speak with people who actually use it.
I can tell you as a matter of fact that the new LabLogger COVID 19 update came from conversations between preproom.org users asking if there were any ways of quarantining stock items for sanitation - I tried to answer that and contacted LabLogger and they did the update for us.
I am trying to stop the numerous Lablogger posts from cluttering up threads and annoying folk who don't use it. Perhaps people like yourself.
The idea actually came from preproom.org admin - there are a large number of people who use this software now and there are threads about it all over the place.
If I do set up a group you can ignore it

Last edited:
I think it would be a good idea to have some sort of discussion group.

The software is very intuitive to start using, but I bet there are some tricks we are missing

As they charge £100 a year, they should provide training and suport for their product same as other software developers.

Think of how it would correspond to savings in other areas though. In my dept at least, a significant part of our budgets is in paper so saving even a little bit of that when not having to print out req sheets for teachers to use would be so so handy. Of course it wouldn't be £100 worth of paper savings but thinking about its value outside of just money I think its definitely worth it to give it a go sure you get your first year free.

Think of how it would correspond to savings in other areas though. In my dept at least, a significant part of our budgets is in paper so saving even a little bit of that when not having to print out req sheets for teachers to use would be so so handy. Of course it wouldn't be £100 worth of paper savings but thinking about its value outside of just money I think its definitely worth it to give it a go sure you get your first year free.
If you employ templates or resources time saved by staff not having to type out duplicate equipment lists saves us way more than than £100 per year

@Peter Sigsworth , great idea. I had not seen the update as I haven't logged on for a while - no point doing a lot of timetable changes as we are not doing ANY practical until at least October half term :(

Great idea Peter :thumbsup:

Great news to all you Lablogger users they have listened to us and within one week have inserted an update which will allow you to put items out of use until they are sanitised
On your stock list, you can now define a bespoke unavailability duration time for discrete items (beyond the time when an experiment request has been completed), during which time a given discrete stock item will remain unavailable,

New Unavailability Duration setting

Following the COVID-19 period, as schools are preparing to re-open, recommendations made by professional bodies (e.g. in the UK - CLEAPSS) advised that some equipment items need to be put aside or disinfected for a period of time after these items have been handled by a student or teacher, and before it is safe for someone else to use them.

Using the new Unavailability Duration setting for discrete items on your stock list, you can define a bespoke period of time, after a request's time has ended, in which that particular item will still not be available for others in your department to request it. Try it to see what we mean.

This new capability is unique to LabLogger, and we are very grateful to our exceptional developers who solved the difficult technical challenges this functionality presented.
@APM @Andres Tretiakov @Hands Solo @KerryLoz @stelden @Ophelia @clairelucas @williamf @Hannah B.

If you haven't already in 'Institution', 'Account Settings' enable 'Manage our equipment and Stock'. Then in 'Stock List' 'Stock List Management' enable 'Equipment Clashes'.
Go back to 'Stock List' and click 'Add New Stock Item' to add the item you wish to control eg Safety Specs
View attachment 4500
Once you've done this then your item will be unavailable for booking until the time set has elapsed from the lesson they were used. Obviously the experiment request must have the item booked as an 'Equipment' request (not general information) otherwise the system will not pick it up
I got round the issue of separate specs for each lab by adding specs sets with different names for each lab:
1597591663401.png
That way I can quarantine the lab sets separately, so if lab 1 set are used then only that set is quarantined, the others can still be used.

Back