Why are teachers so infuriating?

I do believe that majority of teachers are a different breed lol!! from another planet maybe.... ;)

from experience large amounts of a tech's time is wasted having to sort out the mess from lack of planning carried out by teachers....and the poor communication...

we all need to be given a crystal ball on the first day

but for all the lack of comms and planning and everything else.... GOOD MANNERS COST NOTHING! they do forget that sometimes :)

ChrisN

Jack of all trades master of several.
May or may not be jumping the gun here but….

I felt, and still feel like yourself.

I ended up signed of with work related stress for three months. If you are off at all make your doctor puts down “work related stress”.

I’m not fine now but being at home was starting to drive me crazy.

Remember your employer has a duty of care to you as well as the students. This is a legal obligation. Check out the ACAS site.

I’m now seeing a councillor that the college employs. She can’t believe what I’ve put up with.

If they are in that pattern of behaviour it will be tremendously difficult to break. It needs to be broken.
We are not pay enough to suffer with stress.

They as I said have obligation to change things. If you’re not in one already join a union. I’m my work places H&S Unison rep. I’ve had people from the county office here when my voice has been ignored. Your rep will probably do something similar.
There is a light at the end of the tunnel. I can tell you it’s a dam long one with twists, turns and a few dead ends as I’m traveling it at the moment but remember there are people whose job it is to help you get to the end.

ChrisN

I ended up signed of with work related stress for three months. If you are off at all make your doctor puts down “work related stress”.

Remember your employer has a duty of care to you as well as the students. This is a legal obligation. Check out the ACAS site.

I’m now seeing a councillor that the college employs. She can’t believe what I’ve put up with.

If they are in that pattern of behaviour it will be tremendously difficult to break. It needs to be broken.

They as I said have obligation to change things. If you’re not in one already join a union. I’m my work places H&S Unison rep. I’ve had people from the county office here when my voice has been ignored. Your rep will probably do something similar.
There is a light at the end of the tunnel. I can tell you it’s a dam long one with twists, turns and a few dead ends as I’m traveling it at the moment but remember there are people whose job it is to help you get to the end.

ChrisN

I must say Chris, it does sound like you have and still are going through a lot.... :(

not a good place to be in....

ChrisN
Thank you for sharing this it has helped me massively I am going to discuss a certain persons actions with my line manager today as I believe it to be workplace bullying.
Thanks again and hope you see through your troubles too :)

ChrisN

Bullying is any unwanted behaviour that makes you feel intimidated, degraded, humiliated or offended. Meaning if you feel like you are being bulled, you are being bullied. the trick is proving it.
Keep a diary of everything no matter how small and say in it how it made you feel. It wont be easy.

ChrisN

Oh, that is all so sad and I can't imagine how difficult it must be to work somewhere like you do Rachel & ChrisN. You are describing something I don't recognise at all. The teachers here are so appreciative of us techs,especially when we are helping them learn the practicals they are unfamiliar with. Easier said than done, but I'd take my talents to a better school if I were treated that badly

My team can be frustratingly inefficient and forgetful but are very appreciative too.
Oh, that is all so sad and I can't imagine how difficult it must be to work somewhere like you do Rachel & ChrisN. You are describing something I don't recognise at all. The teachers here are so appreciative of us techs,especially when we are helping them learn the practicals they are unfamiliar with. Easier said than done, but I'd take my talents to a better school if I were treated that badly
I do believe that majority of teachers are a different breed lol!! from another planet maybe.... ;)

from experience large amounts of a tech's time is wasted having to sort out the mess from lack of planning carried out by teachers....and the poor communication...

we all need to be given a crystal ball on the first day

but for all the lack of comms and planning and everything else.... GOOD MANNERS COST NOTHING! they do forget that sometimes :)
I hate this job because of the lazy, arrogant, self important, rude, obnoxious, self centered, bad mannered, insolent so called 'professionals'.

Just had to get that out of my system!
Mind is becoming mush working here, I can feel it.
:mad:
:eek::eek: I feel incredibly lucky to work with the Teachers at our Institution. Having said that, I can imagine that if someone was unlucky to have to endure this sort of treatment on a daily basis it would be a nightmare scenario. My thoughts are with you Rachel.:)

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE

ChrisN
I know exactly where you are coming from, stress is horrible and debilitating. . My very best wishes to you for a full recovery. :)

Torylou

Vicki Denny

ChrisN
are you not worried that will be held against you if you leave etc? my OH said to never get that put on paper as other employers wont touch you ( hes a lawyer)

Torylou

Vicki Denny
i had similar n my last post, i left and got better job, although its going down the pan here now as well - see my othr post lol

ChrisN

are you not worried that will be held against you if you leave etc? my OH said to never get that put on paper as other employers wont touch you ( hes a lawyer)

Legally they cannot hold that against you. Although proving it is another matter.

A lot depends on your reference. I’ve been very careful picking people for references instead to doing it through HR who don’t have a clue what I do.

I’ve had two interviews since then. One with a major university (for a chem store Tec) and one with a rival college. They are both still in contact with me as opposed to me contacting them. I basically lost out because this place has not let me do any CPD.

ChrisN

Big hugs to you. I went to my solicitor because of a series of bullying, attrition and mobbing behaviour. Reported it in meeting but nobody listened. I let my bullies sabotage themselves (they broke the law in the end) and the school' s arbiters sorted it out. I got myself signed off with Martian flu then left which was the advice of my solicitor who said my school is badly run, running out of money and just trying to frighten me.If you feel you're in danger inform the police. I've got two part time jobs elsewhere now. Much safer. Google "toxic work environment". It's a real eye-opener. Good luck!!

Got to say, it does wind me up that teachers are paid a lot, with key ideas of preparation and planning, yet do little to communicate. I have the good (who talks to me all the time), the bad (plans well but has his moments) and the ugly (typical request: 'Cooling curves: analouge & digital thermometers' - thats it!) - I am will be so glad when the 2 of them leave in July!