what system do you have in place for teachers requisitions?

archive

Administrator
Site Admin
User: kathlab

Hi all,

out of interest, could i ask the fantastic community of technicians what system you have in place for teachers placing their requisitions.

We have come to a crossroads where i work, and have various systems in place none of which seem to work.

Up stairs in the physics prep, a system of a clip board per teacher and a weekly/daily req sheet (no one requistion sheet which suffices all).

Downstairs biology and chemistry prep we have a central book where most of the teachers write in their requests, although more and more teachers are sending us req's online which we cut up and glue into the book, and one of our teachers writes on a completely different req sheet, for the whole week.(which cannot be stuck into the book so just floats around the prep room)!

More and more not enough detail goes into the requests, so we waste time having to guess or look it up.

On the sheet that is filled in for the week although it's great that this teacher is organised, the amount of practicals he squeezes into tiny little boxed with arrows and bubbles and high lights and underlines .It's a mess and difficult to deciphre.

I have been looking on the cleapss site at the model requisition forms, and can see the pro's and con's for both......would just like opinions from your own experiences dealing with this problem.

Help!

archive

Administrator
Site Admin
User: Louxman

In the staff room, each teacher has a clip, by friday morning each week every teacher is expected to have their requisition sheet for the next week on their clip. On friday morning us technicians sit down and sift throught the requisitions and make our own subject list of practicals. So each friday I end up with a page-a-day list for the next week with all the physics lessons on it.

If there is any ambiguity or clashes then I have a bit of notice and can chase things up,

It's not a perfect system and we have serial offenders with late or non-existant lists but it works on the whole and gives us a chance to prep in advance.

L

archive

Administrator
Site Admin
User: 007

Staff are expected to fill-in a weekly req sheet and either print it off or email it to us, by Thursday lunchtime for the following week. However, there are occasions where this is abused with a "can I just have?" and we as technicians feel like we can't say no because ultimately the students and their learning suffer. Staff get the best service in our school when they stick to the timescales mentioned above and it would be an ideal world if every science teacher stuck to it every week of the year.

archive

Administrator
Site Admin
User: Marshy

Hi

we have one spreadsheet that has all labs and periods for that day for each day of the week. We use excel that is on 'saber' system. I would suggest using a spreadsheet created on google drive that they can all access (at the same time as well if use google). They put in a whole weeks worth of requests which on a specified day you print out whole week (each day on a different sheet) for the week coming.

Google drive is good since they can to sheet from home or wherever. It is good because you have whole timetable with you. You know if it's a late request because it will be written rather than printed text. You can also view and edit anytime and say highlight cells red for difficult practicals or if you need to prepare in advance.

If there is a deadline, teachers get accustomed to adding requests. The only problem I have come across is asking teachers to order in advance and they change their mind.

So on spreadsheet, a table of period vs lab for each day and make sure each day is one sheet once printed

archive

Administrator
Site Admin
User: Stokes1

We are much like 007 - the teachers all fill in a weekly requisition sheet which they email to us by Thursday break ready for the following week. Each of us technicians is responsible for certain teachers, and we each then transfer all the requests to our own personal diary pages. We all work a bit differently, but basically end up with a double page spread per day with all our teachers' requirements easily visible. Personally, it takes me about an hour on a Thursday to transfer all the information from the req. sheets to my book, but it's an hour well spent. It means I get a rough overview of the week ahead, spot any potential clashes well in advance, can plan opportunities to do any advance preparation, and also see where equipment can just be kept out and transfered to another class. It works fairly well on the whole, so long as the teachers do stick to the deadline! And the more detail they give us, the better!

archive

Administrator
Site Admin
User: Jyeardly

Its alway a bugbear in place each teacher is supposed to have there request in by 2pm the day before (Luckly we opperat a tray system) and thye are responcible for checking conficts before submitting the request (1 week if for freesh foods/ plants & 1 month for micro cultures )

In reality its "can I just have" at the door when the lesson starts

now we have IT equipment to move and they are even worse the just expect it to appear via a telepathic request

I have tried the weekly ok for some teachers but others shotgun order and then don't do any practicals

other use criptict runic scrawls or oggam script where do they learn it

the IT dept are working on a system where after 2pm the request gose to the HoD for refferal and to the DhT curiculem support after a set number of lates in a set time or for the same leason

wait and see

archive

Administrator
Site Admin
User: AllantheTech

Have tried electronic requisitioning and found that no matter what system that would used it increased the techs workload in orginising the info the teachers submitted. Went back to the good old requisition sheets. Nice and simple teacher states date, period, kit name and anything else required. Stick it up on the requisition board until the time comes that it would need to be done.

Sometimes the simple old ways work the best.

archive

Administrator
Site Admin
User: SWatson

We have a technician per science subject.

Physics and Biology - we both have a diary where we write in all the weekly requests, delivered by email or hard copy, which are supposed to be in by the Friday of the previous week. This doesn't always happen and we get last minute requests like all technicians the world over!

Chemistry - doesn't use a diary but has requests emailed/ hard copied over to her which she then pins up on her "work notice board".

All work well but still doesn't stop the last minute "Can I have....??" Sometimes they get these requests and sometimes they don't!

archive

Administrator
Site Admin

Thankyou all for your many and varied replies,

i am getting a really good overview of how requisition orders are processed elsewhere, and it seems that we all deal with many of the same problems, mainly the 'can i just haves'!

Myself and my colleagues have joined a local technician forum and have arranged with one school to go and have a nosey around, i for one have only worked in this school so it will be interesting to see first hand how other prep rooms are set up and common practices put into place.

The lady who runs the forum has suggested going to a new school in the area,which she is also interested in seeing (safety in numbers and all that) who have obviously brand new labs and preprooms....again will be interesting to find out if there are things they would have done differently.

I shall be quizzing them on their teacher requisiton format also, so by the time it comes to making the change we should have some idea of a solution to our dilemma.

keep them coming in,

Many thanks indeed you have all been most helpful.

archive

Administrator
Site Admin
User: arctophile

No rigid system, sheets, e-mail, scrap of pqper, discussion all accepted. Each technician looks after 3 specific teachers requests and takes responsibilty for ensuring that they get their stuff. We techncians communicate with each other to avoid clashes etc and redistribute the load if necessary. Works well fro us

archive

Administrator
Site Admin
User: kazyen

We have subject specific technicians. Teachers are required to give in their requisition sheet for the next week by 11.30am Thursday. Some come by email (much clearer to read and spot if they add last minute things) and some are hand written (sometimes hard to decipher and hard to spot last minute add ons!). Some teachers are good at getting them in on time, some are not. Req sheets are then highlighted by the subject technician and pinned up on a notice board in each of the prep rooms. We sometimes end up with lots of sheets pinned up (I currently have 12 for Biology!) but it seems to work well. We do get last minute requests and very rarely say no unless we really can't do it!

archive

Administrator
Site Admin
User: catinpreston

The expected way of working is that the teachers hand in a printed spreadsheet by Thursday lunchtime for the following week. This allows me (and my part-time assistant) to read through and check for ambiguity, clashes, incomprehensibility and shopping needs. Very often they are late - sometimes into the following week is which case they know to grovel or sort themselves out with their own equipment. One member of staff never hands in a sheet; he comes and gets stuff himself unfortunately often made ready for someone else!

archive

Administrator
Site Admin
User: Suzi

We have 3 subject specific technicians and all have different methods! All have to be filled in by the end of Thursday, all are kept in the prep room so the teacher (or tech!)can ask questions.

Biology - laminated sheets with each teachers timetable on pinned on a board in the preproom. 2 weeks of sheets so they can check what they did last week.

Physics - Exercise book with a double page spread for a week. Teacher writes room, lesson and what they require in the appropriate day.

Chemistry - Exercise book with a double page spread for a day (one page for each lab). Easy to spot clashes of equipment. Only problem is they have started using some of the other labs for chemistry so have had to add a section at the bottom of each page for 2 more labs.

All methods seem to work fine. Usual problem of late requests, odd e-mails for things they've forgotten!

archive

Administrator
Site Admin
User: ollieopolis

We are trialing a new system with a couple of teachers. It's called Planbook and you are able to plan lessons probably weeks or months in advance. Teachers and technicians are able to change lessons depending on resources or if the teacher is not available via email. The only bad thing so far is that it's an american program which you have to subscribe to, however they do discounts on the number of teachers using it or even if the whole school is signed up to it. It could be used for whole school and would be a way of going paperless if you are in a school with reprographics issues.

archive

Administrator
Site Admin

Hello all fellow techies,

am loving reading your replies,i am realising just how much of a technaphobe i am, don't think i am quite willing or able to fully submerge myself into an entirely computer bound system.

Partly because i'm just not that good at it! (sad but true), partly i would be worried everytime the pooters go down that the reqs would be inaccessible and partly because we sometimes have problems getting on to OUR prep room computer due to teachers hogging it.

I have to admire all those trying out new systems, it's hard to change something that has been in place for years.....i think the hardest part is going to be convincing the teachers this is going to improve their working day as well as ours(hopefully).

We had a great visit with our neighbouring school and got some fire in our bellies about changing a few other things around the department.At present we are on a health and safety kick, and labeling pretty much everthing that can't move.

We visit another school next week, so who knows what our next big kick will be.

Thanks once again, we are getting some great ideas.

archive

Administrator
Site Admin
User: marilyn

Hello everyone

It has been quite amusing reading everyone's replies. At my school we have 3 technicians covering 12 teachers + any GTP's who may happen to wander into our midst, that inhabit 8 laboratories. We all cover every subject. Over the years we have progressed from each teacher having their own exercise requisition books, to e-mailing on a specific individual spread sheet that covers the whole week. Because the boxes for each period of the day are not exactly large, the requisition can be a tad confusing, plus the fact that on quite a few occasions psychic powers have to be deployed! When the momentous occasion occurs (at the moment a rare event) of everyone giving their req. sheets in on time (Thursdays) we are 'gobsmacked'. We share the teachers between the 3 of us, often changing our batch of teachers every term. It adds a little bit of variety! I personally think that whatever system is chosen, it will not work well. Lets face it, trying to teach Teachers is hard work!!!

archive

Administrator
Site Admin
User: juliea121

LOL to all of the comments! Been a great read :)

We also run a competition called 'keenest prepper'. Our Head of Science thought of it as an incentive for teachers to hand them in earlier then last thing on Friday!

The teacher that hands their sheet in 1st gets 12 points, 2nd 11 points and so on... We keep a running total and this can get really competitive! Its hilarious to watch as teachers try and set up other teachers to fail. Or They'll sneekily ask if they're first etc... its a bit of fun that at the end the winning teacher gets a bottle of wine or chocs/as does that teachers technician :) So although it added on half hour a week of working out scores etc it was a bit of fun and it really DID work! we'd have all 12 sheets in by friday most weeks. We even had repro make up badges for the winners. Teachers wear them with pride! After a full term the competition starts over again...

Give it a go! see just how competitive teachers are.... lol

Julie

archive

Administrator
Site Admin
User: 23skidoo

we have 11 labs 2 fulltime techs around 1500 pupils 11-18 comp. including myself we have a box downstairs in the preproom some teachers put the folowing weeks requistion in a week in advance others 24hours and erm like other people have stated last minute!

in the box goes the chemistry,biology physics,forensic science requests we then divy them up i do chem/bio other tech physics and sometimes helps me.

archive

Administrator
Site Admin
User: George1

Everything is manaaged via Microsoft Outlook as is the norm in GLP.

Hope this helps.

archive

Administrator
Site Admin
User: SBridges

This is a brilliant topic to discuss, I am a lone technician with 5 teachers and 1 trainee to run aound after. I also use the weekly req sheets, which everyone has adapted to suit their own preferences. However, I do ask the teachers whether they have changes or adaptations to make before hand so that i can effective use my time. I find that even though i want them all in by Thursday lunchtime, there are still teachers ignoring the system.

I have 2 teachers who constantly change their reqs, so i've learnt to say no and they have to fend for themselves. This has helped the situation. Although i get random emails out of school hours with changes.

Can it really be this difficult to get organised? And more importantly stay orgainised?

Thanks, I feel better now ;-)