What shape are your delivery tubes?

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE
for years we have used a U shaped delivery tube without many problems, however, some of our illustrious staff want a different shape because our wonderful kids are burning the bungs by not heating at an angle. If, I was running the practical.... this wouldn't happen. So, I wondered what you guys are using? And if any of you have any recommendations, It would be good to hear from you.:cool::D

We tend to use different deliv. tubes for different experiments - also depending on the pupils group ability decides if they are glass or just plain rubber delivery tubing;) Just like you however the most commonly used ones are U shaped!

karen b

COMMITTEE
In the labs as standard equipment they are L-shaped with the short arm in the bung.

We have other U-shaped ones for specific experiments

I put a short length of glass tubing through a bung and then connect it to a longer length of glass tubing using a short piece of rubber tubing. I find this type is less likely to get broken and it's easier to set up an experiment because they are flexible. You can add an extra length of rubber tubing to the end to make it easier to collect gas.

We tend to use different deliv. tubes for different experiments - also depending on the pupils group ability decides if they are glass or just plain rubber delivery tubing;) Just like you however the most commonly used ones are U shaped!

Yes vary according to the practical

Ours are glass free: flexible silicone tubing connected via a 1" piece of rigid plastic tubing.

Started doing similar, no time to be fixing breakages, how many more times glass does not flex/like to be pulled apart. I've started using this for gas collecting, using short bits of glass tubing then placing the silicon tubing on that. Where are you sourcing your plastic tubing from, great idea to get rid of the glass all together!

Techitude

COMMITTEE
Ours are glass free: flexible silicone tubing connected via a 1" piece of rigid plastic tubing.

We do similar with glass tubing instead of plastic but we have just bought a load of plastic tubing so we can swap them all over to 'glass free' to save on breakages.