What do you read?

It wasn't the Roy Grace I imagined, not far off though.
I've watched a lot of films/TV stuff where the characters don't match my image of them.
If I've really enjoyed reading a book / series I don't like watching them in film or TV version because they are always wrong ! I gave up on the TV Brother Cadfael because it annoyed me too much that he looked completely different from how I imagined, and don't get me started on them completely changing the plots of some of the Morse, Poirot and Miss Marple books for TV !

If I've really enjoyed reading a book / series I don't like watching them in film or TV version because they are always wrong ! I gave up on the TV Brother Cadfael because it annoyed me too much that he looked completely different from how I imagined, and don't get me started on them completely changing the plots of some of the Morse, Poirot and Miss Marple books for TV !
I get told off for pointing out the 'wrong' bits and told 'just enjoy the story!'
I think the worst one lately was Jack Reacher, a 6'4" giant - played by Tom Cruise.
(And Daniel Radcliffe is not my Harry Potter!)

Me too! Have you seen the TV epis

I have. Was a little underwhelmed, but glad they're making a full series of them. John Simm was a good casting, I think.
I was just going to say the opposite. Like him as an actor, but didn't see him as Roy Grace at all.
Same with Peter Robinsons series; DCI Alan Banks...Stephen Tomkinson is SO wrong! Banks was supposed to be good looking, wiry build & sounded all together a 'bit of alright' :laughing:

Reactions: kaj
Although, I think John Thaw was perfect Morse.
My fave quote from Morse was when Lewis, on asked where he'd been, said he was reading. Morse replied, " Passing the pages of The Sun before your eye does not constitute 'reading' Lewis". Love it.:laughing:

Me too! Have you seen the TV episode?
Wasn't hugely impressed.

Sue Grafton ( of the A -Y murder series) stipulated in her will that none of her 'Kinsey Millhone' series was to be filmed/televised, for that very reason. She felt that all her readers had their own version of Kinsey & characters in their minds & it would ruin it for them.

karen b

COMMITTEE
I was just going to say the opposite. Like him as an actor, but didn't see him as Roy Grace at all.
Same with Peter Robinsons series; DCI Alan Banks...Stephen Tomkinson is SO wrong! Banks was supposed to be good looking, wiry build & sounded all together a 'bit of alright' :laughing:
Stephen Tomkinson sounds perfect for the role to me

I am currently reading the Emporium of Imagination by Tabitha Bird it's an 'escape' read but I'm getting drawn in. The genre is kind of magical / mystery and it's about a shop and a cat that appear overnight to solve people's emotional pain. Now I've made it sound weird but I am enjoying it!

Anything by Roger Hargreaves or Rev Wilbert Awdry. Some of it is a little too high concept for me though...
I still love reading the original railway books. All the little details about how they operated fascinate me. We visited Talyllyn a few times and I think I was more excited than the kids (we once stayed in a cottage right by the line which was cool).

I still love reading the original railway books. All the little details about how they operated fascinate me. We visited Talyllyn a few times and I think I was more excited than the kids (we once stayed in a cottage right by the line which was cool).
That sounds brilliant!

I get told off for pointing out the 'wrong' bits and told 'just enjoy the story!'
I think the worst one lately was Jack Reacher, a 6'4" giant - played by Tom Cruise.
(And Daniel Radcliffe is not my Harry Potter!)
Yep, I did that for 'The Terror' - the book is brilliant, the series ending is meh...

Roy Grace... nope I pictured him different.
I can't remember the actors name who I thought would make a good Grace, but it's not the one playing him :laughing: