What chemicals should I have in stock all the time?

Hey guys, I took over as lab tech this year at my school which is a new build, I am relatively new to being a lab tech so not 100% sure what chemicals are needed to have in stock all of the time.

We are currently using Edexcel as our exam board and we have most of the chemicals bought just for that spec. but out of curiosity what chemicals would be best to have in stock that might not be of regular use?

I know we don’t have any potassium chlorate so I cant torcher jelly babies for respiration practical’s at the moment so thats going on my next order :D

COMMITTEE
Do you run any A-Level courses, if so it might be worth checking what other chemicals you need for those.
In this continual cost cutting education sector we now work in, it's becoming more important it seems to only have the chemicals you need and in some cases recently we've had to justify purchases of certain chemicals.;)

On the cleapss website there is a spreadsheet E233 - Chemical stocklist which has a list of all the chemicals you might use and how likely they are to be used in a school. That would be a good starting point.

We dont run A-levels yet but we will do in 2 years, I am starting to prep things now for when that starts.

We are lucky with our head, if we say I want he normally rubber stamps it as we dont throw in silly orders like other departments do. Talking of silly orders time to order some eys :D

Thanks Sarah I will have a look at that and compare it with my current list and see what I should get in.

COMMITTEE
On the cleapss website there is a spreadsheet E233 - Chemical stocklist which has a list of all the chemicals you might use and how likely they are to be used in a school. That would be a good starting point.
We used this as our basis to create our stocklist, ans have added successive years on so we can compare usage of chemicals over time. It's a great document.:D

Thats what I was thinking of doing with it after seeing it.

I will do a stock check at the end of the year but rather than measure it out I am going to just say about half, quarter nearly full for amounts :D

Thats what I was thinking of doing with it after seeing it.

I will do a stock check at the end of the year but rather than measure it out I am going to just say about half, quarter nearly full for amounts :D
Put a coloured bit of tape on the lid at stock take [remove when used] then you can see if chemical hasn't been used next stock take copy over weight BUT if after several years of non use [I'm going for 6 as it willl cross 3 schemes of work] Then time to get rid and make space.

I use a different colour each year!

Oh and small jars, vials etc I put all same chemical bottles in a zip lock bag [over ordering occurred in past as small bottles get lost/hard to find] So I have one bag with 6 bottles of DCPIP, in, one with 3 bottles of Cresol red etc much quicker and simpler on next stock take.

I use a different colour each year!

Oh and small jars, vials etc I put all same chemical bottles in a zip lock bag [over ordering occurred in past as small bottles get lost/hard to find] So I have one bag with 6 bottles of DCPIP, in, one with 3 bottles of Cresol red etc much quicker and simpler on next stock take.

Cool, that sounds like a plan, any other tips?

If you need to stockup from scratch and you know that you're working from the Edexcel Scheme of work then I think the best thing to do is check through all the worksheets or technicians notes for all the possible experiments you may be asked to provide for. It's possible your HOD will have already decided upon a scheme or work based on the Edexcel one but excluding the experiments the teachers think are unsuitable. If they haven't got a scheme of work that they are working from then it will be very difficult to guess what you'll need and you should explain to the HOD that you can't just guess!

The scheme of work and the list of experiments you're expected to provide for are the key to efficient chemical stock :)

I was in your position 4 years ago, brand new school, only technician. I also had the added problem of being in a temporary premises with very little storage space so only purchasing the must haves was important as everything had to be packed up and moved to new premises twice in the first 3 years. Its nice to be finally in a brand new prep room designed by me with a lovely large chemical store. The E233 was great and have amended it to my own needs, meaning I usually only need to do one replenishing order each year, plus the odd order for items such as hydrogen peroxide which need to be ordered as required so that it doesnt loose its strength.