What are the rules regarding teachers helping themselves to chemicals in your prep room?

My policy is that they shouldn't take anything at all unless I am there to OK it, or they're prepared to at least have the bloody courtesy to leave a post it note saying what they've taken, where, and that they'll bring it back. Bad enough if you take something without telling me, but if I then have to chase the thing... my good books you will not be in.

Are you fed up with teachers taking your chemicals? Here is a very simple and fun step-by-step guide to stop such a habit:

1) Replace colourless solutions with a dud (water) at the front of the pile and label as if it were that chemical. Use food colouring accordingly for coloured solutions.

2) Inform your fellow technicians that the bottles at the front are duds. Use a symbol so that you can keep track of which are false.

3) Learn how to act convincingly confused when the teacher returns the bottle saying it didn't work

4) Make sure to point out to the teacher that they must be doing something wrong

5) Grab the dud bottle from them and say you will provide another one. Go to the chemical store, grab the correct bottle, walk back to the teacher saying "actually just had a thought, I just want to try it myself before replacing it". Remember they think you still have the dud when in fact you picked up the real one in the chem store.

6) Show them it does indeed work and feel free to humiliate as necessary

7) Laugh

8) Repeat step 1-7 until teacher stops coming to grab chemicals.

This is gold.

I don't let any teachers touch the chemicals, only under my supervision. They are locked away under lock and key. Give them and inch, they take a mile. And who's fault would it be if they helped themselves and there was an accident.
It would be their fault not yours!

The teachers here are pretty good. There's only one teacher who likes to come into the prep room and hover over the inorganic chemicals (thank goodness they don't have a key to the chem store!).

I have more problems when I try to get everything ready for waste disposal collection... I usually line everything up in my prep room to make an inventory and its so frustrating when this teacher comes in as they like to go through all the chemicals to see if they can take anything home :surprised:

I just give them a look and say 'No, go away' :laughing:

the number of reels I found packing up the post lockdown maternity leave teachers stuff...
Same here. I find reels in drawers, on shelves, in boxes of text books! I number the reels now so I know if one goes missing. Then an all teacher email is sent out and suddenly I'll find the stolen reel has been put on my desk. Every so often I ask for an equipment amnesty and many lost items re-appear.

Are you fed up with teachers taking your chemicals? Here is a very simple and fun step-by-step guide to stop such a habit:

1) Replace colourless solutions with a dud (water) at the front of the pile and label as if it were that chemical. Use food colouring accordingly for coloured solutions.

2) Inform your fellow technicians that the bottles at the front are duds. Use a symbol so that you can keep track of which are false.

3) Learn how to act convincingly confused when the teacher returns the bottle saying it didn't work

4) Make sure to point out to the teacher that they must be doing something wrong

5) Grab the dud bottle from them and say you will provide another one. Go to the chemical store, grab the correct bottle, walk back to the teacher saying "actually just had a thought, I just want to try it myself before replacing it". Remember they think you still have the dud when in fact you picked up the real one in the chem store.

6) Show them it does indeed work and feel free to humiliate as necessary

7) Laugh

8) Repeat step 1-7 until teacher stops coming to grab chemicals.
That's a lot of effort, and maybe a bit irresponsible.

Carol Taylor

Footsore
I only keep class sets of safe molarities of solutions in my preproom. The chemistry store involves getting a key off the wall then going into the store which is in the physics room. I don't feel that I have any right to police this. They are not my chemicals after all. I do object to them taking things that I have gotten ready for other classes but that doesn't happen much now. Yesterday one came for the keys to get ethanol, H2O2, pot.perm and some tins. I really had no right to say that she couldn't help herself. 12 more get-ups until retirement.

The phrase 'over their dead bodies' springs to mind... ;). Only techs and HoD have keys (and Site) to chem store / prep rooms. I can't imagine trying to keep track of stock and being confident that a prepped trolley had everything on it if they could help themselves!

This reminds me of our retired OCD physics tech who caught a teacher rummaging in his prep cupboards for something. Next day when the teacher was in their room the tech went in and started to rake through cupboards, drawers, filing cabinets... everything, leaving all the doors/drawers open. Teacher never darkened his prep again.

The tech was an absolute legend, some of the tales about him are pure gold.

No one helps themselves, they always ask first.