water still broken! element on the way - what solutions can I make with tap water?

Hi

Our still is out of action until our delivery of a heating element arrives after Easter. In the meantime is it okay to make HCl with tap water just for general experiments? What regular chemicals shouldn't be made with tap water?

Regards
Andy

Hi

Our still is out of action until our delivery of a heating element arrives after Easter. In the meantime is it okay to make HCl with tap water just for general experiments? What regular chemicals shouldn't be made with tap water?

Regards
Andy
copper anything

Hi

Regards
Andy
Go to Halfords or somewhere & get 5L of deionised water (not just for car batteries !)
We are in a hard water area & this was a lifesaver a while back !

Go to Halfords or somewhere & get 5L of deionised water (not just for car batteries !)
We are in a hard water area & this was a lifesaver a while back !
Thats about all I would buy from Halfwitts. :)
I have a lovely ratchet set circa 1980 (survived some serious abuse), and a car jack that was bent when I opened the box, but some of their staff are useless.
Apologies, If you, your partner, your nearest and dearest work/have worked there....

T

Thats about all I would buy from Halfwitts. :)
I have a lovely ratchet set circa 1980 (survived some serious abuse), and a car jack that was bent when I opened the box, but some of their staff are useless.
Apologies, If you, your partner, your nearest and dearest work/have worked there....

T
Yup, my daughter went there the other week as her windscreen wiper needed replacement. She can be a divvy when it comes to anything 'mechanical' (although I occasionally wonder if it's a show, and really, she just can't be ars*d). Anyway, it was an easy push clip, slide off, slide on job... and apparently, they couldn't do it...

Yup, my daughter went there the other week as her windscreen wiper needed replacement. She can be a divvy when it comes to anything 'mechanical' (although I occasionally wonder if it's a show, and really, she just can't be ars*d). Anyway, it was an easy push clip, slide off, slide on job... and apparently, they couldn't do it...
Last time I went there to buy a windscreen wiper they sold me the wrong one - I had to look it up myself and go back to get the right one :mad: I didn't take them up on their offer to fit it for me !

Carol Taylor

Footsore
I haven't had anything except tap water for years, not since the "temporary refurbishment" of my preproom . I'm awaiting a fit for purpose sink to wash up in and in the meantime the parts of the old still were lost.

I buy Deionised water 25L from SLS ED about £13. Since the water company fitted the new taps I can't connect the Still. :(

I buy Deionised water 25L from SLS ED about £13. Since the water company fitted the new taps I can't connect the Still. :(
I've had a similar problem where we were told the still supply can't be connected to a mains tap in case of backflow (Scotland, your regs may vary). The solution was a little aquarium pump. Water goes from the tap, via tube, and drops into a large bowl from a few cm above. The pump is submerged in the bowl, supplying the still. I run the water a little faster than necessary and let the bowl overflow into a sink, just to prevent the pump running dry. The pump cost about £8 I think.