Waste Collection

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone could share some advice about preparing for a hazardous waste collection/keeping waste organized to make things easy when the time comes to book a collection.

A couple of specific questions I have are...

1) Do things have to be packaged in specific container types to be accepted by registered waste carriers? (I read elsewhere on this forum that waste needs to be in Winchesters...but presumably this wouldn't apply for, say, lead iodide?)

2) Is there an easy way to work out what waste can be bulked together for waste storage/subsequent collection? and how would this affect the cost of removal? (I know that CLEAPSS mentions silver halides, and lead waste, etc. but I've also inherited a 'copper (II) salts waste', and want to know whether it's wise to add to it)

...but any advice or tips you have would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

I've used Chemgo in the past. Competitively priced and easy to deal with. I sent them a list of everything that needed to be disposed off and then had a quote. They came during the school holidays and all I had to do was have everything lined up on the lab benches in order of the list that I sent. They sorted out all the packaging! Very efficient and quick service. The main cost is transport and packaging so you will find adding items doesn't increase the cost significantly. My advice is to dispose of as much unused chemicals as you can!

I've used Chemgo in the past. Competitively priced and easy to deal with. I sent them a list of everything that needed to be disposed off and then had a quote. They came during the school holidays and all I had to do was have everything lined up on the lab benches in order of the list that I sent. They sorted out all the packaging! Very efficient and quick service. The main cost is transport and packaging so you will find adding items doesn't increase the cost significantly. My advice is to dispose of as much unused chemicals as you can!
agree, Chemgo are really good and very reasonable, and efficient

I used chemgo last summer. If you can find another local school who wants to dispose chemicals you can share the transport cost.
I emailed them a list of what was to be disposed and they sorted the rest.

We used W.A.S. ltd as they were the most competitively priced and also in the same county (Suffolk). They accepted a couple of bottles with corroded lids so no worries there; but one thing to bear in mind if you've got a 2.5l container with 200ml of liquid in, you need to tell them it's a 2.5l container so they have enough packaging. (it wasn't an issue as there was only one bottle I had that this applied to, but it's something to be aware of).

Oh - and I initially got 5 or 6 quotes which varied by several hundred pounds!

Thanks for all the recommendations! Does anyone have any tips on managing waste prior to collection? I.e. deciding what to treat yourself/recycle vs. just saving everything as-is for collection?

Appreciate this will vary depending on individual situations/practicals but would love to hear if anyone has any good systems for this or just general tips!

When I was getting mine removed last summer I sent cleapss my disposal list and after a phone call with Magda she said that it really wouldn't make much difference to the cost of the disposal and the time spent disposing myself. Overall it cost £1400 there was a few small bits I could of done but in the grand scheme of things wouldn't of made much difference.

Thanks for all the recommendations! Does anyone have any tips on managing waste prior to collection? I.e. deciding what to treat yourself/recycle vs. just saving everything as-is for collection?

Appreciate this will vary depending on individual situations/practicals but would love to hear if anyone has any good systems for this or just general tips!
We do small scale dilute and dump, always worth checking how much water you would need to get rid of a bottle of stuff as sometimes it can be a swimming pools worth of water which isn't viable.

We are fortunate that we have a bit of space in our bulk store where we can isolate things for disposal, we don't usually have vast amounts.

When I was getting mine removed last summer I sent cleapss my disposal list and after a phone call with Magda she said that it really wouldn't make much difference to the cost of the disposal and the time spent disposing myself. Overall it cost £1400 there was a few small bits I could of done but in the grand scheme of things wouldn't of made much difference.
Thanks, that’s nice to hear the ‘CLEAPSS’ take on things! I suppose it will always involve some judgement to balance between time/space/cost.

We do small scale dilute and dump, always worth checking how much water you would need to get rid of a bottle of stuff as sometimes it can be a swimming pools worth of water which isn't viable.

We are fortunate that we have a bit of space in our bulk store where we can isolate things for disposal, we don't usually have vast amounts.
Thanks! We have a fair bit of room too, luckily.