Ventilation in Chemical Store

I've been banging on about ventilation in our store for at least 16 years..... we got a louvred vent (no extractor though; it's a passive vent) cut in the door about 10 years ago, but that was it...... :mad: No-one but us techs seems bothered, but at least I have a paper trail of emails, memos, appraisal documents to show I've asked again and again should anything happen. Gets to the point where you get fed up of moaning about it as nothing ever gets done.....:rolleyes:
same here.
When I first started the chemical store was in my tiny preproom - designed by the old HoD with no technician input, long story!! But at least now moved to separate room.
There is the appearance of ventilation - ducts in the ceiling - but no pump system so completely ineffective. I spend very little time in the chem store as just move stuff in and out but there is a real problem with white powder and rust!! Sitemanager aware but it doesn't seem to be a priority for him - even after being picked up on an internal trust H&S inspection.

White powder is most likely ammonia fumes reacting with HCl fumes. NH4Cl.
I put my ammonia in the cupboard underneath the fume cupboard.
HCl fumes can cause bad teeth.
Such small molecules as mentioned here can get out of the screw caps.
I put a bag around fuming liquids and it really helps.

same here.
When I first started the chemical store was in my tiny preproom - designed by the old HoD with no technician input, long story!! But at least now moved to separate room.
There is the appearance of ventilation - ducts in the ceiling - but no pump system so completely ineffective. I spend very little time in the chem store as just move stuff in and out but there is a real problem with white powder and rust!! Sitemanager aware but it doesn't seem to be a priority for him - even after being picked up on an internal trust H&S inspection.

Our new build prep room had ventilation. But it did not work. After 4 years of complaining. And getting repeated Fail certificate from the companey that tests the fumecupboards. they first replaced the open grill above the door with a self sealing grill at the bottom of the door. Then after another fail cert. they replaced the extract system. apparently the fan was not conected with ducting to the vwnts in the room and the tube connecting to the outside was 1/3rd of the correct diameter.

We used to do that, but got pulled up on it in a health and safety audit. We were told that chemicals shouldn't be stored under the fume cupboard as they could cause degradation to the exposed gas pipes. We put dry stuff like the spills kit, bin bags, sand, etc, in that cupboard now so that there's no safety risk.

I bag my ammonia, too
I boxed the acids by adding a lid to deep Gratnells, but they aren't a snug fit...
Also, cover vulnerable labels over with book-covering film as soon as finished annotating the label upon receipt...

We used to do that, but got pulled up on it in a health and safety audit. We were told that chemicals shouldn't be stored under the fume cupboard as they could cause degradation to the exposed gas pipes. We put dry stuff like the spills kit, bin bags, sand, etc, in that cupboard now so that there's no safety risk.
it's an under cupboard, that's what it's for.?

You can get someone in who will measure air flow & quality.
It should be tested every 14 months, same as fume cupboards, as it is LEV.

Local Exhaust Ventilation Regulations
COSHH Regulation 9
The Control for Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH Regulation 9) explicitly states the importance of regular maintenance of LEV systems. This includes the engineering controls and measures.

Employers have to put these in place to ensure adequate, regular examination and testing is carried out. Additionally, The Local Exhaust Ventilation Regulations further state that LEV systems must be assessed and tested at least once every 14 months. Furthermore, testing and maintenance records should be kept for a minimum of 5 years.

HSG258 Guidelines for Local Exhaust Ventilation
The HSE’s HSG258 Guidelines state that all LEV systems must be maintained in efficient working order. It is therefore a legal requirement for employers to make sure that local exhaust ventilation systems are working properly.

HSG258 also state that LEV Airflow Indicators are an effective and efficient way of confirming when a local exhaust ventilation system is working correctly. As a result, it is safe to use.

it's an under cupboard, that's what it's for.?

That was what I thought, but it was also picked up by the company that did our fume cupboard testing last year. In our cupboard there's no back so all the pipes and cables from the fume cupboard are exposed which is what they said was the issue.

That was what I thought, but it was also picked up by the company that did our fume cupboard testing last year. In our cupboard there's no back so all the pipes and cables from the fume cupboard are exposed which is what they said was the issue.
CLEAPSS say you don't need the metal cupboard, I'd refer it to them.

CLEAPSS say you don't need the metal cupboard, I'd refer it to them.

I'm not that fussed to be honest. I've got plenty of shelving in the prep room for dilute chemicals and the stock bottles all live in the chemical store. It works fine for us using that cupboard for dry stuff only.

White powder is most likely ammonia fumes reacting with HCl fumes. NH4Cl.
HCl fumes can cause bad teeth.
Have started doing this, but there still seems to be a fine layer of something everywhere!!

Have started doing this, but there still seems to be a fine layer of something everywhere!!
In the first school l worked in the cleaning lady never bashed her broom and it introduced dust into the labs that l kept dusting.
Eventually l asked if l could clean my 2 labs.

Our issue is...we don't have any! :mad::rolleyes:
Bang the war drum, it's important to have it for health and safety reasons. I contacted SSERC and someone working there said if it wasn't sorted then to involve them in the process and they'd speak to the appropriate people about its importance. Could you maybe find someone at CLEAPSS to back you up?

It can be horrible in a chem store. We used to get head pain fairly quickly after going in there, brought on by the flammables.
We finally got ours sorted when we had a tech that used to get migraine after going into store. Lots of time off sick ( with sick form stating reason) & the school finally decided to sort it.
I'd said to the bursar, who came over & said, after a quick sniff, " It's doesn't seem too bad to me". I said. " Ok go in there, I'll shut the door & leave you there for half an hour & lets see how you feel after that". We'd already given them the CLEAPSS docs to no avail.
After a lot of wrangling we managed to get in a contactor who measured the air exchange flow etc.
We finally got decent ventilation.
I get the old dizzy head too if I stand in my store for too long :D