Variable resistor not moving

Good morning,

I have 2 resistors (as shown as below) which are stuck and won't budge across the wire. Any advice on how to get them to move or would WD40 work?

Thank you

IMG_20210702_081801.jpg

They're very easy to strip down, the wipers come loose and jam. clean the wiper and slide with fine emery, scotchbrite or a sanding block. Reassemble and tighten every thing you can find with a nut or screw. Shouldn't need to use WD40 or any lubricants.

They're very easy to strip down, the wipers come loose and jam. clean the wiper and slide with fine emery, scotchbrite or a sanding block. Reassemble and tighten every thing you can find with a nut or screw. Shouldn't need to use WD40 or any lubricants.
Perfect, thank you, i will give this a try today.

Tried this and it didn't work until i tried again and took a few more bits off that I missed the first time round, it works brilliantly now. Thank you.

Looks upside down, with the feet at the top? Is it?
It is but the slider is at the top, possibly put together wrong now I'm thinking about it. It's been like this since I started though, might have to have a look to see if I can turn it around. Fits that way though.

It looks to me like the lugs that the slider bar attaches to are missing, presumed removed in a fall from bench height.... weee clunk.... "Sirrrr"/"Missss" (delete as appropriate.)
If so, it is quite a clever bodge/modification.

True, but surely an easier panel mount would have just been to bolt the feet of it down - they are even slotted for that very purpose:confused:
It's mounted on the back of the panel, so it's only the slider knob protrudes through the front of the panel. These were used as light dimmers in theatres. Think of an audio mixing desk.
True, but surely an easier panel mount would have just been to bolt the feet of it down - they are even slotted for that very purpose:confused:

It's mounted on the back of the panel, so it's only the slider knob protrudes through the front of the panel. These were used as light dimmers in theatres. Think of an audio mixing desk.
AAh, of course, I remember seeing them on the lighting desk in our hall!

These varialbe wire wound resistors are called Rheostats, I clean them with a polishing block for a circuit board it's a very very fine
abrasive block. then wipe clean with aclchol to remove the dirt. To clean the windings use warm soapy water and an old tooth brush &
dab dry with some absorbent paper.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    627.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    623.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    656.8 KB · Views: 10