Van de Graaff

Has anyone purchased a new Van de Graaff recently? Ours does not work so well as it used to (I estimate it's over 30 years old). I have been asked to cost up a new one, but they do seem to vary in cost.

We bought a phillip harris one a couple of years ago. Very good. Gave one of the teachers a shock. She forgot she had a steel plate in her ankle:rolleyes:

We have this one

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
We have this one

same, though badged differently, edulab?

I found the use of the shielded socket as a mount for the discharging sphere a poor design so use a wander lead. Other than that it is very good.

Last one we got was Ebay NOS , Philip Harris Still sealed in original packing £60 from memory

Ours is quite old but I just changed the belt, now it's almost too good! Even works on very damp days :)
I replaced the old Combs on one of ours they were " very flimsy aluminium foil like combs" with two little bits of stamped aluminium mesh made lovely points when cut works great

Has anyone purchased a new Van de Graaff recently? Ours does not work so well as it used to (I estimate it's over 30 years old). I have been asked to cost up a new one, but they do seem to vary in cost.
The only thing that will age is the belt, should be able to source a replacement. Make sure there is a small gap between the belt and the brushes. Make sure the dome is really clean.

I have got a spare belt , so will have a go at replacing it, in the summer. The dome is quite pitted, but I will try to polish it up.