Vaccination debate

Sorry for taking up so many posts here but I just saw this and thought it would be important to share:
Proof that Bill Gates has been working on helping vaccine tech for decades and namedropping some new ones that are hopefully getting approval soon

When asked if I have any allergies I always mention my Bee & Wasp sting allergy, Chloramphenicol, & Fabric plasters. Not that I think Wasp or Bee stings are used in anything, but you never know!
When I asked a Dr this he said you really never can tell what is used in the manufacture of anything, so always best to mention EVERY kind of reaction or allergy. Theatre staff had a good laugh at me saying bee stings when I was being wheeled into theatre. Said they'd try to ensure no bees got into Op Theatre. :laughing:
well they use leeches and maggots for some medical practices still so who knows maybe sometime in human history they used bee stings lol

I need to do more research to put my mind at rest, but my worry is that inducing an immune response to something that our own cells are producing is just asking for an autoimmune response to develop.

You are more likely to get a autoimmune response like a cytokine storm which is what makes people very sick from catching Covid-19.
To be honest, the Big Pharma's self-interest when it comes to profit making, is the main reason I trust well known and established companies will not offer a vaccine unless they are sure no massive PR crisis will come out of it :x

AZ is doing it on a non-profit basis.

Reading all of the above just brings back the author Douglas Adams (RIP) and the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy.
It went something like this or along the lines-
"some people thought it was a bad idea about humans coming down from the trees. Some even suggested we shouldn't have crawled out the oceans in the first place."

Reading all of the above just brings back the author Douglas Adams (RIP) and the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy.
It went something like this or along the lines-
"some people thought it was a bad idea about humans coming down from the trees. Some even suggested we shouldn't have crawled out the oceans in the first place."
Reminds me of the science podcast I listened to a while back. It boiled down to: every invention that improves the quality of life also creates an unanticipated set of problems that we have to solve with the next invention, that creates unanticipated set of problems that we have to solve with the next invention, that creates unanticipated set of problems that we have to solve with the next invention...

What are your thoughts on the vaccination and the priority groups as they stand at the moment?
If teachers are going to be vaccinated, then support staff should as well. I'm getting mine on Saturday, I'm over 65 but I know other people, also over 65 and have not been contacted.

my HOD's mum had the vaccine, and she was so unwell from it, she went into the hospital, and apparently caught the blasted covid from there. her husband who didnt even go to the hospital caught it from her when she came home and as HOD is looking after his parents while working from home, he has caught it too... still unsure if it was the vaccine that caused her to be really unwell, or that she was carrier for covid before the vaccine. I suppose it's going to affect everyone differently.
The early results from the phase I/II study of the Pfizer vaccine showed a drop in lymphocytes after the vaccine with a recovery by day 7, which would imply that recipients are particularly vulnerable to infection immediately afterwards - certainly there are many reports of outbreaks in care homes, which have successfully protected most their residents through the previous months. There are reports of adverse reactions, including death (which may or may not be coincidental); I think everyone should make their own informed choice after weighing up the risks & benefits.

my HOD's mum had the vaccine, and she was so unwell from it, she went into the hospital, and apparently caught the blasted covid from there. her husband who didnt even go to the hospital caught it from her when she came home and as HOD is looking after his parents while working from home, he has caught it too... still unsure if it was the vaccine that caused her to be really unwell, or that she was carrier for covid before the vaccine. I suppose it's going to affect everyone differently.
I had my first vaccine dose on Saturday. The vaccine affects everyone differently and it also depends on which one you receive. I didn't feel great the next day, it was like having the flu but I'd rather deal with symptoms for a day or two than get Covid. I'm more concerned about the number of people who think they are invincible since they have gotten the vaccine - lots of blind leading the blind in the media within the last year or so.

karen b

COMMITTEE
I have been volunteering as a marshal in the local vaccine centre. I had my first dose of the AZ vaccine about three weeks ago (as they had left over doses from people who didn’t turn up for their appointment). I felt really tired and achy the next day, but fine after that.

Obviously everyone is different but from what I have been hearing (mainly from NPR), the first jab is mostly symptom free, but the second one might make you want to take a day off.

Update: My HOD now had it, but has to isolate as his wife and his dad now have it. His mum sadly passed away two weeks ago from the virus - unfortunately the vaccine didnt work in time for her.

Paul Murphy

COMMITTEE
I note with interest here regarding "Big Pharma". The money they are making from developing vaccines is small compared to the money they make from the rest of the "medications" they already make. Yes they are making megabucks but they already do.

I note with interest here regarding "Big Pharma". The money they are making from developing vaccines is small compared to the money they make from the rest of the "medications" they already make. Yes they are making megabucks but they already do.
I almost feel like we are missing the bigger picture here. 'Big pharma' is the obvious baddie that we like to dunk on (with good reasons).
Another thing to ponder is the fact that this is also a data gathering opportunity at a massive scale. Data is the new oil after all...
It's also a big geopolitical opportunity for countries that produce the vaccine.

Last edited:
Obviously everyone is different but from what I have been hearing (mainly from NPR), the first jab is mostly symptom free, but the second one might make you want to take a day off.
I and several others I know, have had headache & shivers from 1st jab.
I was in bed for most of next day with pajamas, socks, dressing gown & 2 quilts on me, was still freezing. If that's a sample of how it feels to have the virus, glad I didn't get full blown version!

I and several others I know, have had headache & shivers from 1st jab.
I was in bed for most of next day with pajamas, socks, dressing gown & 2 quilts on me, was still freezing. If that's a sample of how it feels to have the virus, glad I didn't get full blown version!
Aww :( A friend of mine had AZ one last weekend and it took her out for the whole Sunday, mostly fatigue and pain on the injection site though.

Just had my first dose of AZ today (this severe needle-phobe is proud!) so will report back in the AM :p

ETA: so had my jab at 1pm and I just got seriously shivery at half ten.

I have had a rough day (anxiety getting the jab + accompanying my also-phobic flatmate to get his which involved standing in the cold queuing for an hour: Tip Of The Day- if you can get it done in a hospital rather than a vaccination centre absolutely do!!! then managed to choke on my dinner like a typical exhausted Emma) which can’t have helped! Hoping I feel better in the AM.

ETA: I do not feel better in the AM. Have had a 38+ degree fever all night (topped out at 38.8), my head is sore and my arm feels like it’s been punched.

Last edited: