Using soda lime in chemical store

We have purchased some self indicating soda lime to absorb fumes in the chem store. But when I look at the container I can see that it’s corrosive. What is the correct and safe way to use it for this purpose?

Not sure you've purchased the correct item. AFAIK, it only absorbs carbon dioxide. What particular fumes are you trying to absorb?

Honestly, I don’t know. The senior technician bought it to put in all of the cabinets. It’s in with conc. acids/alkalis, organics, flammables, indicators, you name it. I had a look earlier and it appears to be in the bottom of trays (with bottles on top) and sprinkled on the bottom of the shelves. This is what worries me because it seems to be everywhere.

Honestly, I don’t know. The senior technician bought it to put in all of the cabinets. It’s in with conc. acids/alkalis, organics, flammables, indicators, you name it. I had a look earlier and it appears to be in the bottom of trays (with bottles on top) and sprinkled on the bottom of the shelves. This is what worries me because it seems to be everywhere.
it also absorbs acidic fumes. Have a look at the CLEAPSS handbook section on storage which describes its use and has some diagrams.

Yeah they've got it wrong
It's used for a very few specific acid fumes, not all over the place for all of them

It should be in a sealed container with the bottle of (by CLEAPSS section 7 guidance) any solid Bromine and corrosive water reactives and that's it other than your usual CO2 absorption uses

Time to shut up again, Ophelia. 8 -)

Do you think so? I’m actually pretty worried about this, I’ve done some research and it says to keep it away from concentrated acids! I’ve got other concerns too, e.g. conc acids and conc alkalis stored next to each other, flammables and oxidisers together... Is this all as dangerous as I think it is?

Do you think so? I’m actually pretty worried about this, I’ve done some research and it says to keep it away from concentrated acids! I’ve got other concerns too, e.g. conc acids and conc alkalis stored next to each other, flammables and oxidisers together... Is this all as dangerous as I think it is?
Well Soda lime is calcium oxide and sodium hydroxide solid and putting a conc. acid on that is asking for a very strong, exothermic reaction to happen
As for the other I can only suggest getting CLEAPSS handbook section 7, pages 7-10 and reading up, they have exacting instructions for each category of chemical schools are likely to have in stock plus some specific instructions for particularly nasty substances

If your school uses CLEAPSS as their H&S provider then by ignoring that advice they're breaking the law and liable should an accident happen

Well Soda lime is calcium oxide and sodium hydroxide solid and putting a conc. acid on that is asking for a very strong, exothermic reaction to happen
As for the other I can only suggest getting CLEAPSS handbook section 7, pages 7-10 and reading up, they have exacting instructions for each category of chemical schools are likely to have in stock plus some specific instructions for particularly nasty substances

If your school uses CLEAPSS as their H&S provider then by ignoring that advice they're breaking the law and liable should an accident happen

Thank you for this, it validates what I already think. How there hasn’t been an accident is beyond me. Any advice on how to bring this up tactfully would be much appreciated.

Might be barking up the wrong tree here, but are you sure that the stuff in the cabinets is not 'just' cat litter? It does look remarkably similar to soda lime.

see the Storage group in E233 - Chemical stocklist and 7.3 Storage of chemicals ...section of the cleapss handbook.

http://science.cleapss.org.uk/Resource-Info/Handbook-Section-7-Chemical-Safety.aspx
http://science.cleapss.org.uk/Resource-Info/E233-Chemical-stocklist.aspx

I’ve read this a few times but I wanted to check before I brought it up, in case I was making a fuss about nothing. I’m quite new so don’t really want to go around saying they’ve been doing it wrong all this time.

Might be barking up the wrong tree here, but are you sure that the stuff in the cabinets is not 'just' cat litter? It does look remarkably similar to soda lime.

I have heard cat litter mentioned, but I’m pretty sure there is soda lime in there too. The senior technician was talking about putting it in the cupboards, it looks the same as in the container, and there’s some older stuff that is a purple colour (I think this means it needs to be replaced).

So how do I bring this up without offending anyone???

Well, I asked whether the substance is soda lime or cat litter. It is soda lime. And it’s EVERYWHERE. At the bottom of each tray and cabinet, and sprinkled over the tops of the containers and bottles.

I said that I’m worried because it’s corrosive, and I’d read that it should only be used in certain cases.

‘It’s what CLEAPSS said to use.’
‘We’ve been using it for years.’
‘No one’s ever complained.’
‘Nothing’s ever happened.’

Argh.

I have heard cat litter mentioned, but I’m pretty sure there is soda lime in there too. The senior technician was talking about putting it in the cupboards, it looks the same as in the container, and there’s some older stuff that is a purple colour (I think this means it needs to be replaced).

So how do I bring this up without offending anyone???
Can I suggest you re-read the hazard? I think it is badly laid out, in that the corrosive warnings apply to sodium hydroxide and not so much to soda lime
Cat Litter is suitable. On the subject of Cat Litter can I reveal to you an interesting anecdote? Last year 2 Pre-MPharm students were doing a distillation practical when one of them asked me what the brown substance in a Beaker was. I said it was Cat Litter and why were you asking? I asked them had they eaten it. They said that they thought it was Anti-Bumping granules. My thoughts were... and these are two future Pharmacists. Magic!:D:D:D:D

The Hazcard says it’s corrosive to eyes and skin. So does the container.
You are correct Ophelia, it is corrosive and it shouldn't be sprinkled liberally about the chemical store. It is cat litter that should be in the trays and soda lime should be used with specific chemicals inside another container or bag

The Hazcard says it’s corrosive to eyes and skin. So does the container.
You are correct Ophelia, it is corrosive and it shouldn't be sprinkled liberally about the chemical store. It is cat litter that should be in the trays and soda lime should be used with specific chemicals inside another container or bag
Just a suggestion - if you, like me, place your Ammonia 0.880 in a bag why not add a little citric Acid in the bag to mop up any ammonia vapour.:);):)