Unknown repairs

Techitude

COMMITTEE
And don't even get me started on...

'knock knock'
Students - "Miss says can you come to her room, the gas isnt working"
Put down task I'm half way through and high tail it to lab
Teacher [panicked] - "The gas isn't coming on and the box is beeping!"
Me [releasing the 'can't miss it' giant red emergency stop button just feet away from the gas control box] - "Try it now Miss"

Honestly, how hard is it to see that the box is beeping and the EM stop LED is flashing and make an educated assumption that maybe, just maybe, the emergency stop button has been pressed (likely by some kind darling as they left the room) and releasing it will solve all your problems.

STEMTech

Dave
Can't take the credit for this but.... Pilots v Technicians- P=pilot, S=solution

P: Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough.
S: Auto-land not installed on this aircraft.

P: Something loose in cockpit.
S: Something tightened in cockpit.

P: Dead bugs on windshield.
S: Live bugs on back-order.

P: Autopilot in altitude-hold mode produces a 200 feet per minute descent.
S: Cannot reproduce the problem on the ground.

P: Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.
S: Evidence removed.

P: #2 Propeller seeping prop fluid
S: #2 Propeller seepage normal – #1 #3 and #4 propellers lack normal seepage

P: DME volume unbelievably loud.
S: DME volume set to a more believable level.

P: Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick.
S: That’s what they’re for

P: IFF inoperative.
S: IFF always inoperative in OFF mode.

P: Suspected crack in windshield.
S: Suspect you’re right.

P: Number 3 engine missing.
S: Engine found on right wing after brief search.

P: Aircraft handles funny.
S: Aircraft warned to straighten up, fly right, and be serious.

P: Target radar hums.
S: Reprogrammed target radar with lyrics

And the best one for last.

P: Noise coming from under instrument panel. Sounds like a midget pounding on something with a hammer.
S: Took hammer away from midget.

A former HoD (Physics & Electronics) had a simple system.

Each Lab. had a Gratnells tray permanently screwed to the teacher's bench labelled 'Broken Equipment'. Inside the tray was another tray also marked 'Broken Equipment'.

I also added a label to say what was to be put into it (no broken glass).

The tray was taken to the Prep. Room at intervals and the contents sorted. The tray was then returned to the Lab.

My favourite is always when I tidy the balances and put them in their 'locked' storage mode, and the next time they are used by a class the teacher runs into my room in a whirlwind of panic exclaiming that all the balances are 'broken'.

I don't know how many times I have to show them the big bright red slider on the underside of the balance that says 'unlock before use' before someone eventually catches on. :p

So now my flowchart is:

One balance non-working? Okay I'll have a look.

All balances non-working simultaneously? Either a solar storm has sent a wave of solar wind directly through your lab and nowhere else, or the little darlings are unaware of the fact that you need to unlock them.

And don't even get me started on...

'knock knock'
Students - "Miss says can you come to her room, the gas isnt working"
Put down task I'm half way through and high tail it to lab
Teacher [panicked] - "The gas isn't coming on and the box is beeping!"
Me [releasing the 'can't miss it' giant red emergency stop button just feet away from the gas control box] - "Try it now Miss"

Honestly, how hard is it to see that the box is beeping and the EM stop LED is flashing and make an educated assumption that maybe, just maybe, the emergency stop button has been pressed (likely by some kind darling as they left the room) and releasing it will solve all your problems.

I just had this in the middle of washing up! I'd turned the gas on in the lab during break ahead of the lesson, the teacher turned the key to off and came to say it wasn't working.

Could they not see the big green light by GAS ON?????

Give me strength to deal with these trainee teachers

We have a lovely new set of microscopes with rechargeable built in lamps. Not long after they'd gone into use one was returned to my room - you guessed it, just abandoned on my desk. Oh dear thinks I, they've broken one already :rolleyes: Decide to save time and just wait until the room I know it has come from is free and I can question the teacher as to the nature of the problem. Well he says, its broken, that's not very good is it, they're new. Upon further questioning it turns out that the lamp not working is the issue. Can you see where I'm headed with this? So I expressed my displeasure that obviously one of the chargers for the microscope must be broken hence why the lamp won't take a charge. Ooooh, says the teacher - we have to charge the microscopes - I didn't realise! Head, brick wall...

We have a lovely new set of microscopes with rechargeable built in lamps. Not long after they'd gone into use one was returned to my room - you guessed it, just abandoned on my desk. Oh dear thinks I, they've broken one already :rolleyes: Decide to save time and just wait until the room I know it has come from is free and I can question the teacher as to the nature of the problem. Well he says, its broken, that's not very good is it, they're new. Upon further questioning it turns out that the lamp not working is the issue. Can you see where I'm headed with this? So I expressed my displeasure that obviously one of the chargers for the microscope must be broken hence why the lamp won't take a charge. Ooooh, says the teacher - we have to charge the microscopes - I didn't realise! Head, brick wall...
give them some old fashioned candle-lit Van-Leeuwenhoek style ones instead haha

I've seen a teacher confused about why one of the small digital balances wasn't working until I pointed out they hadn't taken the lid off the pan and were instead using it as a glorified platform for what they were trying to weigh!
That happens to us a lot when another department borrowed out balances or a new teacher tried to use them :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:. We get asked for less complicated ones.

I've have a microscope on my desk with a note saying the bulb isn't working. I put a new bulb in and it still isn't working. I made sure the new bulb is fine by putting it into a microscope I know is working, at the same time I test the old bulb and it also mysteriously works.
I went back to the "broken" microscope with the original bulb. The dimmer switch was set to the lowest point.
It wasn't the last time I've had a microscope come back for the same reason, it is now the first thing I check.

I've also had teachers come in saying a students power packs not working. I have a look at it with nothing wrong apart from the Voltage set to max and a few broken bulbs.

I have mentioned this one before, but always fun to drag it out again... and again...

I was happily working in the physics store, repairing a few fiddly bits when there was a knock on the door. A pair of students wandering around the corridor with a blood pressure meter. How they found me when students normally don't even notice when I am in the prep room and the store doesn't have any sort of markings on it, plus I didn't actually remember telling anyone where I was, is beyond me. I took the blood pressure meter in, tried it, it worked perfectly. Students just didn't realise that after the cuff inflates, the numbers cycle down before the final reading is displayed. I point it out, send them away. Moments later another pair appears, and another and another. It turns out they'd been consulting with the biotech and the biology teacher and neither of them, despite using these things for years, knew what was going on and so sent them to me to change their batteries... all were returned.

A former HoD (Physics & Electronics) had a simple system.

Each Lab. had a Gratnells tray permanently screwed to the teacher's bench labelled 'Broken Equipment'. Inside the tray was another tray also marked 'Broken Equipment'.

I also added a label to say what was to be put into it (no broken glass).

The tray was taken to the Prep. Room at intervals and the contents sorted. The tray was then returned to the Lab.
We have this but it just gets used as a “I borrowed this and can’t be a***ed to return it” box.