Unknown repairs

I have a Signal Generator sitting on my workbench. It appeared mysteriously while I was on break. What is wrong with? No idea - can’t find a fault and the trace on the oscilloscope is clean. Best guess is they needed a power sig gen which this isn’t.

Would it hurt to pop a post-it note on equipment detailing the issue? Or drop me an email or (controversial) tell me?

I had a box of 'broken equipment' when I did physics. Within no time it was full - no explanations about what was the matter with any of it..... It would've taken months to troubleshoot them alone.

I had a class set of lamps used for photosynthesis practical returned with the message that the bulbs had blown on 2 of them.
"Which ones?" I asked.
"No idea" said the teacher.
I guess I'll just go through them all one by one then....!

I can't decide which is more annoying - the set aside "broken" equipment with no labels that seems to work fine or the "perfectly fine" equipment that makes its way back in the tray even though it doesn't work. I think it depends on the item in question for each case...

I can't decide which is more annoying - the set aside "broken" equipment with no labels that seems to work fine or the "perfectly fine" equipment that makes its way back in the tray even though it doesn't work. I think it depends on the item in question for each case...
Same!

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
I always love the "oh one of them didn't work" that's been put back on the trolley with the rest with no way of telling which one is borked without testing all 16 of the buggers one at a time.....

Best one is multimeters, "One has a flat battery".. well sometimes it takes a couple of mins before the battery symbol flashes up.. you leave them all on for 5 mins, you replace the battery and the next time they go out ....

I had a teacher come in after a lesson the other day to tell me that a burette tap was blocked... but it's been put back in the rack with the other 29 fully operational burettes :rolleyes:

karen b

COMMITTEE
I was off work September/October last year. There is an array of random bits still awaiting my attention. (I also appear to be the only one who can change batteries and test bulbs). All items are unlabelled as to why they are in the pile and when I asked none of the other techs know what might be wrong.

• Wow
Reactions: Vee
My pet hate too '' bulbs/ cells don't work'' ''which ones'' '' oh can't remember, they are in the tray somewhere'' :vampire:

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
Is it just me ? or do you find the pile of "this is not working" equates to I haven't a clue how this works and so it in fact is working normally pile ??????
Wish I had a quid for every time I've fixed a "broken" stop clock that just needed flipping over and the time/timer button on the underside pushed again

One of our past techs found a post it on a piece of Physics equipment that said, " Appears to be broken", with no other clues.
They really shouldn't of done that, she then stuck notes on teachers, random equipment, her chair, herself, with variations on the, " appears to be broken", written on them. :laughing:

Techitude

COMMITTEE
Also high on my pet hates is 'knock knock' at the door, student standing there states "This [insert equipment] isnt working, sir says can we have another one"
Take said item from student, quietly mumble secret technician enchantment spell, hand same item back to student, now magically (was always) working perfectly.