Unknown metal in the alkali metals tray

Second week in new position, I’ve found a bottle of an unknown alkali metal(no label) in the flammables cupboard. Looks like lithium but not 100% certain.

I’m worried incase it’s potassium and has the yellow effect

it needs throwing away regardless as I have plenty of these metals in safer storage

How would you recommend disposing of it?

Attachments

• F6683A74-E68B-4FF2-A2A9-A9BFC7742BA9.jpeg
    F6683A74-E68B-4FF2-A2A9-A9BFC7742BA9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 60
  • 651BDB8B-4CFF-4CC9-9CAC-ED84074E6F10.jpeg
    651BDB8B-4CFF-4CC9-9CAC-ED84074E6F10.jpeg
  • C06B553B-75D1-48BF-B381-7C11ACB5BC1D.jpeg
    C06B553B-75D1-48BF-B381-7C11ACB5BC1D.jpeg
thanks, would you recommend i top up with liquid paraffin to fully immerse the metal or should i just leave it to one side?

I'd fully immerse just to be on the safe side and then dispose of as hazardous waste. You could always try a small amount and see what the reaction is. Might give you an idea as to what you are dealing with. Just hate it when someone doesn't label chemicals or put the molarity on the label too

Top it up with liquid paraffin, scrape the 'material' off the bottom in case it's stuck, then see if it floats, if it does then it's possibly Li, if not then you need to investigate further.
As labmom says, try a tiny amount in water, see what happens.

Treat it as very reactive metal although it's unlikely to Cesium, top up the paraffin oil. Try a small amount outside when it's quiet. The flame colour should identify it.

As labmom says - I would top up with paraffin oil and cautiously test a 1mm square offcut in a large trough of water so you can label it.

Surely cutting is a dangerous thing to suggest if it has went yellow, I thought that crusty lithium had the tendency to explode when cut?

Glad all worked out ok but if ever any doubt over reactive metals, and especially any query regarding possible peroxide formation of potassium metal, my advice personally would be to not mess around and contact CLEAPSS and then waste collection. I personally always hate cutting into my potassium....and I know how I store it.....how long I have had it...and aware of any discolouring happening in storage.

Glad all worked out ok but if ever any doubt over reactive metals, and especially any query regarding possible peroxide formation of potassium metal, my advice personally would be to not mess around and contact CLEAPSS and then waste collection. I personally always hate cutting into my potassium....and I know how I store it.....how long I have had it...and aware of any discolouring happening in storage.
I'm in a new position, there was no pass over and no stock-list of chemicals shockingly so I have had to start over with chemicals that need regular checks as i don't know who was in the position before me. But don't worry with everything i come across I go by the bible that is Cleapss.

I'm in a new position, there was no pass over and no stock-list of chemicals shockingly so I have had to start over with chemicals that need regular checks as i don't know who was in the position before me. But don't worry with everything i come across I go by the bible that is Cleapss.
I was in a similar position to you, was total chaos, not easy but glad you are safe.