TV etiquette

Please be considerate toward your TV/viewing platform when watching the England v Scotland match tonight.

I for one am guilty of abusing my TV on such an occasion. Regularly shouted at and as a result covered in spittle and beer splashes. Often overly aggressive with my face only inches away from the screen screaming uncalled for abuse including obscene gestures.

labsleuth

COMMITTEE
It's funny when there's a UK derby, because it always seems to mean so much more to the non-England team! As an English person, I will always cheer on a "home team", but I think the Scots and Welsh would rather die than cheer us on :p

clairelucas

COMMITTEE
Split household, husband has parents from Cardiff, so husband and son put Welsh before English always.
For clarification, he was born in England, raised in England, and ancestors were English....

I have Scottish parents, so technically I'm Scottish but I've lived in England most of my life, so I sound as English as the next person.

I'll support any GB team, in this order: Scotland, Ireland, Wales, England. But as it's usually England in the finals of any major competition it's usually England I end up supporting. :D

I'm not someone who is particularly into sport, but I also tend to support Wales over England, even though my Welsh connection is via my grandmother only. It seems to have rubbed off on my partner too, who has no Welsh heritage at all. He now supports Wales, has sung with a Welsh male voice choir on several occasions and started learning Welsh on Duolingo.

It makes for an entertaining rivalry in our flat since our flatmate is an avid England supporter!

I'm not someone who is particularly into sport, but I also tend to support Wales over England, even though my Welsh connection is via my grandmother only. It seems to have rubbed off on my partner too, who has no Welsh heritage at all. He now supports Wales, has sung with a Welsh male voice choir on several occasions and started learning Welsh on Duolingo.

It makes for an entertaining rivalry in our flat since our flatmate is an avid England supporter!
Ooo, I'm learning Welsh on Duo too. :) Have been for about a year.
I do have a smidgen of Welsh ancestry but it's enough of a teeny tiny portion to basically be a technicality lol. Always wanted to retire in Wales though and it's possible I'll want to work in an ysgol Cymraeg at some point, should I make a move earlier, so it might be useful to speak.
It's definitely mostly for fun and because I happen to like the country and the language.
(Also it amuses us both that I am getting increasingly better at speaking Welsh than my born-and-bred-in-Swansea bestie/flatmate. :p)

Ooo, I'm learning Welsh on Duo too. :) Have been for about a year.
I do have a smidgen of Welsh ancestry but it's enough of a teeny tiny portion to basically be a technicality lol. Always wanted to retire in Wales though and it's possible I'll want to work in an ysgol Cymraeg at some point, should I make a move earlier, so it might be useful to speak.
It's definitely mostly for fun and because I happen to like the country and the language.
(Also it amuses us both that I am getting increasingly better at speaking Welsh than my born-and-bred-in-Swansea bestie/flatmate. :p)

I went to school in Wales for 6 years, so it was part of the curriculum. Beautiful language. But I've forgotten most of it now.

I can say I like coffee (Ryddw i'n hoffi coffi). (Or something like that, it was a looong time ago and I haven't had much need for it..)

and I know an Ambwlance when I see one.
:laughing:

I went to school in Wales for 6 years, so it was part of the curriculum. Beautiful language. But I've forgotten most of it now.

I can say I like coffee (Ryddw i'n hoffi coffi). (Or something like that, it was a looong time ago and I haven't had much need for it..)

and I know an Ambwlance when I see one.
:laughing:
Haha a lot of the words for more modern nouns especially are very similar to the English. It's interesting how some parts are so similar and others so different- you can make some good sentences.

I found a leaflet on my travels about exploring Wales using public transport whose Cymraeg side was titled "Dim Car, Dim Problem!"
My flatmate maintains that this was because the Welsh didn't have any problems until the English came along.

It's funny when there's a UK derby, because it always seems to mean so much more to the non-England team! As an English person, I will always cheer on a "home team", but I think the Scots and Welsh would rather die than cheer us on :p
In a way but we do respect the fans (no doubt as passionate as any others) and the players (pros doing their job). What does irk is the media, especially the public funded EBC with their smarmy presenting and constant references to 66. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Haha a lot of the words for more modern nouns especially are very similar to the English. It's interesting how some parts are so similar and others so different- you can make some good sentences.

I found a leaflet on my travels about exploring Wales using public transport whose Cymraeg side was titled "Dim Car, Dim Problem!"
My flatmate maintains that this was because the Welsh didn't have any problems until the English came along.
Same for other languages, the Japanese for Hamburger transliterates as 'han-ba-ga' :p

karen b

COMMITTEE
This would
Ball is the wrong shape
Come ask again in 2 years

This would be my (Welsh) husband’s response. I still remember him offering to look after our four month old during the Five Nations. He nursed her to sleep and then yelled “Come on!” at the tv. Cue crying baby

I'm Welsh, with Cymraig as my first language, was educated through the Welsh language, but have lived in the Plymouth / Cornwall area for the last 35 years. I get quite embarrassed now, speaking Welsh, as I've forgotten so much of it, despite trying to teach my kids Welsh when they were little.
For me, it's Wales first, then Scotland, Ireland and Finally England when it comes to supporting teams. My husband's also Welsh (non speaker) and our poor TV gets so much verbal abuse when he's watching a match.