TST strips for autoclave

Colly

Wobbler
Hi, I'm struggling to find these. Scichem are out of stock, does anyone know where else to find them? None in Better equipped, Philip Harris or SSS catalogues.

Thank you!

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
Hi, I'm struggling to find these. Scichem are out of stock, does anyone know where else to find them? None in Better equipped, Philip Harris or SSS catalogues.

Thank you!
Could risk not bothering with them - I have an old pressure cooker and once steam is coming out of the valve I keep it going for 20 mins and am pretty certain the stuff inside is sterile. I don't bother with TST strips.:rolleyes:

Colly

Wobbler
Could risk not bothering with them - I have an old pressure cooker and once steam is coming out of the valve I keep it going for 20 mins and am pretty certain the stuff inside is sterile. I don't bother with TST strips.:rolleyes:
I'd rather be safe than sorry. A couple of times where I would have assumed the cycle was thorough the indicator strip showed it hadn't actually been complete.

That one is used to indicate that that particular item has been though the autoclave. It doesn't tell you that the cycle has been successful.
There are two types of autoclave tape. As Colly said, one merely tells you that it has been through a sterilization step. The other indicates that a certain temperature has been reached for x min. VWR sell this:

There are two types of autoclave tape. As Colly said, one merely tells you that it has been through a sterilization step. The other indicates that a certain temperature has been reached for x min. VWR sell this:
I have always assumed that all autoclave tape only goes dark if you expose it to 121 deg for 15 mins, i.e. enough for most sterilization procedures. That's because I was taught this 35 years ago when I worked in a Uni lab. If there are two types of tape around, firstly what does the tape that only "indicates it's been through a sterilisation step" actually indicate? Secondly, can you tell the difference between the two types by looking at them?

Colly

Wobbler
I have always assumed that all autoclave tape only goes dark if you expose it to 121 deg for 15 mins, i.e. enough for most sterilization procedures. That's because I was taught this 35 years ago when I worked in a Uni lab. If there are two types of tape around, firstly what does the tape that only "indicates it's been through a sterilisation step" actually indicate? Secondly, can you tell the difference between the two types by looking at them?
I use a small piece of autoclave tape to mark individual items so I know they have been through the autoclave already, handy when you have a lot of batches to put through or if you are keeping some sealed items e.g sterile water, for some time.
I use one TST strip (which are card strips with a colour changing dot from yellow to navy) in each batch to check that that cycle has reached the correct temperature and pressure. A few times it has been the case that the cycle has not been successful so I run it again. This is what I was taught on the CLEAPSS microbiology course. I don't know anything about the tape version that shows the cycle has been successful or how you would tell the difference.