Transporting radioactive sources

PhysicsSimon

COMMITTEE
Been offered a source, free, from a College that no longer wants it - we're quite keen but we HAVE to transport properly. Can anyone comment on the quote I've just had for transporting it: 65 miles at approx £300? We had to have one disposed of last year (approx £700 including transport) and have also just ordered a new one too, supplier has added approx £150 onto the price for transport but this might be a special price from their transport Co to get all their business and/or more than one delivery at once whereas this new quote is for a dedicated van. Thoughts?

I disposed of some Thoron a couple of years ago and a breakdown of the costs quoted transport as £315 so what you have seems about right! Would the college be prepared to help with the cost of transport? If they wanted to dispose of it, it's going to cost them much more!

PhysicsSimon

COMMITTEE
What does CLEAPSS say on this? (not at work so can't see)

I think I'm safe to quote a bit of it:

The transportation of all radioactive substances is regulated by The Carriage of Dangerous Goods and Use of Transportable Pressure Equipment Regulations. When packed correctly and following the procedures set out in this section, any source covered by the Standard School Holding will count as an ‘excepted package’, and this reduces the extent of the regulation considerably. But you still need a risk assessment and transport contingency plans, which this section gives you. Check that the driver’s car insurance is valid for transporting excepted packages. It may help to reassure insurers by explaining that the typical sealed sources are only one order of magnitude greater than the activity of domestic smoke detectors.

PhysicsSimon

COMMITTEE
Can you not then do it yourself or take a school minibus?

Not legally.....and as it was our RPA who advised us it was available (whilst at the same time whinging on & on about the need to do it properly) questions will be asked if it just turned up in our store!

We're ok about the price (certainly compared to the cost of getting found out if doing it wrong) - as long as we're not getting ripped off and Lesley's kind reply above means I'm not having to spend x hours requesting more quotes for comparison

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
Fine if you are ok with the price but the CLEAPSS advice you quoted shows that you could do it legally.
Only if your registration ith the HSE to hold the sources in the 2018 update included your intention to transport - if it did not then you would need to re-register
See 3.5.4 and 10.1 in L93 :)

I had a couple of quotes of around £200-250 + VAT, even though we only wanted to move the sources about 15 miles. Basically we had to pay for the driver to drive all the way from London to Bristol, move the sources between two nearby schools and then drive back to London.

PhysicsSimon

COMMITTEE
He didn't quote that bit!

True....there's quite a bit I didn't quote! But if your (or your schools) insurance policy covers the transportation of class 7 dangerous goods even if they're technically an exempted package then you have better cover than me!*

As it turns out another school beat us to it but at least I now know the likely price should another offer crop up

*one of the best things I've done in recent years is to ditch my car & cycle instead: no insurance/road tax/mot & service costs plus I arrive at work each day with a smile on my face, something that was very rare in 30 years of commuting by car (I do still drive but only as a named driver on my partners policy).....I might be whinging about the weather or bl**dy idiot car/van/bus drivers/fellow cyclists/pedestrians but really I'm smiling on the inside!

*one of the best things I've done in recent years is to ditch my car & cycle instead: no insurance/road tax/mot & service costs plus I arrive at work each day with a smile on my face, something that was very rare in 30 years of commuting by car (I do still drive but only as a named driver on my partners policy).....I might be whinging about the weather or bl**dy idiot car/van/bus drivers/fellow cyclists/pedestrians but really I'm smiling on the inside!

Agree swapping to this job means I can walk to work, I only take care on days I have to shop for the dept [mileage paid] and torrential rain [like today] The days when I do take the car I have to leave earlier, than walking in order to get a car parking space and in winter it takes me longer to defrost and de-ice the car than walk.

Then add in the 'good-mornings' greetings and nods of familiarity to the dog walkers, mums taking children to school etc, the quick chat to the school crossing patrol lady - human contact you don';t get in the car. Makes your day start on a positive note - oh and gets my 10k steps in to!

My personal policy covers me for this. Along with kit, chemicals etc.

Cost to me - saved me £20 on the policy. go figure. They had to refer it up the command chain as an unusual request - "we've never heard of this being asked for, but are happy to provide it".