Transition day

Irene

Irene
Could I pick your brains for transition day as the teacher running it this year wants to use bunsens. I've said no as there isn't alot of time to go through health and safety. Any alternatives? We did cabbage indicators using kettles a few years back, but this year, they want to burn metals.

Hmmm is this for current Year 6s?
That's very brave if they want to burn metals and you can't risk assess this properly since they don't know the kids!
They should stick with basic "kitchen science" type stuff like skittle diffusion on petri dishes (cold vs warm water), pen chromatography, rainbow fizz etc. Nothing stopping the teacher doing a flashy demo if that's what they want to do.

If you look at the CLEAPSS document for Open Evenings, anything they list kids can do there should be fine for year 6s in a transition day.

Last edited:
We've done bunsens for year 6 induction before and it worked well. We did hour sessions and part of the session covered safe use of a bunsen before they did flame tests with soaked splints. Having said that though the Cleapss primary website does specifically state that they don't recommend bunsens for primary age children.

This is giving me flashbacks to HOD's bright idea for Y6 day a few years ago - finding the amount of sugar in coke by boiling off the water :shocked: (I persuaded him against that one !)

We usually do household acids and alkalis with UI, and the teacher demos a UI rainbow in a long glass tube.

We have done rockets in the past- investigating aerodynamics
dissolving substances ,ie sugar, salt, flour etc - different temperatures/ quantities
food testing
making slides and microscopes

Could I pick your brains for transition day as the teacher running it this year wants to use bunsens. I've said no as there isn't alot of time to go through health and safety. Any alternatives? We did cabbage indicators using kettles a few years back, but this year, they want to burn metals.
How about chromatography using felt tip pens. It's easy, fun and they could take them home?

Irene

Irene
Hmmm is this for current Year 6s?
That's very brave if they want to burn metals and you can't risk assess this properly since they don't know the kids!
They should stick with basic "kitchen science" type stuff like skittle diffusion on petri dishes (cold vs warm water), pen chromatography, rainbow fizz etc. Nothing stopping the teacher doing a flashy demo if that's what they want to do.

If you look at the CLEAPSS document for Open Evenings, anything they list kids can do there should be fine for year 6s in a transition day.
Yep, it's for the Yr6's, great I'll have a look, thanks

we used to do alka seltzer rockets before that we did Bunsen's matches in the chimney etc, this was in June/July the projector used to shut off as it was so hot in the lab with 30 Bunsen's.

mainly we get 80% girls who are very keen to come to this boys school. :laughing: