Traning New Technican

Hopefully in September we will have a new Technican. Who although will most likly will have school experance but not as a Science Technican.

Any good tips for getting them started when they first come in and intial traning. I think our HOD is actually keen to send them on an actauly proper course, but that woun't be straigh away.

Thanks
Marie

(I'm Dysleixc and having a bad spelling day)

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
There's a CLEAPSS technician induction checklist thats a good starting point
I pruned it so that we only do stuff thats relevant with them as not all of it applied but still better than starting from scratch

Hopefully in September we will have a new Technican. Who although will most likly will have school experance but not as a Science Technican.

Any good tips for getting them started when they first come in and intial traning. I think our HOD is actually keen to send them on an actauly proper course, but that woun't be straigh away.

Thanks
Marie

(I'm Dysleixc and having a bad spelling day)

Skills for new technicians NY601​

https://www.stem.org.uk/cpd/ondemand/448656/skills-new-technicians
also you can apply for bursaries.

STEMTech

Dave
As a lone tech I remember being sent to an adjacent school to observe/work with their technician.
It was great for me but must have been really inconvenient for their technician!

I remember way-way-way back when, it was basically just me, the Prep room full of stuff I'd inherited, and several arch-lever folders of CLEAPSS resources, with which to familiarise myself over the best part of that August, before getting on with it in September...
:cleapssadvice::cleapss:

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
School experience sounds good. I had no idea when I started and took a while to get the hang of KS2/4/5. They may also be familiar with your computer systems. CLEAPSS courses are great.

With our school, because everything is in so many cupboards, I usually suggest they wander into empty rooms and open cupboards so they have an idea of what we have and where it is.

My training, when I started in a 6th form college, was 'here's the room, I finish today and I'm off to say goodbye to everyone'. My predecessor here left extensive notes for all practicals, what kit you needed, where it was......it was really helpful, but I don't have that kind of time.

greenfingers

Sarah G
COMMITTEE
Am currently writing a training programme using Cleapss induction, apprenticeship charter and apprenticeship log book my last technician did .They are also booked on the STEM York residential course in October have a look at that ours is fully bursaried.

Thanks for this post; was looking for ways to continue my CPD from the level 3 NVQ/BTEC apprenticeship, and this thread made me check what it was all about and boom, bursary-funded 3 day residential in York from Monday! Onwards we go :)

Reactions: Kay
Thanks for this post; was looking for ways to continue my CPD from the level 3 NVQ/BTEC apprenticeship, and this thread made me check what it was all about and boom, bursary-funded 3 day residential in York from Monday! Onwards we go :)

Pack your stretchy waist band trousers, you will be well fed!