Train strikes

Are these to be treated seriously? I ask because I'm an Aussie visiting England in December / January. Do they apply to all train lines? What alternatives are available if your train is cancelled because of strike action? Already I have heard of a proposed strike (via this forum) on Jan 6th / 7th just when I am supposed to be travelling to Manchester from London. Are internal flights a viable alternative or would I have trouble getting to an airport? How do busses work - I am assuming there is some sort of National Carrier and I would need to get somewhere first. Any help appreciated.

Assume the strikes are real, they have been randomly striking for the last few months, best to check with the company you are thinking of using to see if it affects them. If you are in London check tfl.gov.uk to see if the tubes etc are running.

Internal flights are an option, but getting to the airport might be an issue. There are coach services, but haven't used them for many years, so no idea what frequency they are. Try here: https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

Hope this helps a little.

Alas the train strikes are all to real and in the most part effect folk who need to use them to commute to work. Having said that some services are running on reduced timetables but over Christmas they will probably be effected by engineering works which usually over run. Various train companies have a website you can look at to confirm the state of play but be warned the live trains feature can be misleading as I have found out to my cost, you can get apps for a phone which many folk use. National Express coaches off an alternative but they are likely to busy too.

You'll easily be able to travel from London to Manchester with National express coach company and I can recommend them. Might be worth looking at soon and booking in advance if it's definitely the date you are travelling.

Trains do nut run anywhere on strike days and one or two days either side, but do not forget to feel sorry for everyone on strike cause they hardly do a job any way and it will only result in redundancies.

Strikes are real. Day before/after will also be disrupted. Our commuter station didn’t have any trains for two days after the last one. :rolleyes:

You can usually get buses to airports and take internal flights but they may be packed so you might be best to book now. Buses to airports can be hit and miss as to how frequent and fast they are! You can get a tram from the centre of Manchester to the airport (it’s quite slow compared to the train but it should be unaffected by rail strikes except by being busier)

You'll easily be able to travel from London to Manchester with National express coach company and I can recommend them. Might be worth looking at soon and booking in advance if it's definitely the date you are travelling.
National express is great. It does take longer but you're guaranteed a seat haha - they love cancelling trains between London and Manchester, then everyone just has to squish onto the one before/after. You can also get a bus from Manchester airport to the city centre.

Are these to be treated seriously? I ask because I'm an Aussie visiting England in December / January. Do they apply to all train lines? What alternatives are available if your train is cancelled because of strike action? Already I have heard of a proposed strike (via this forum) on Jan 6th / 7th just when I am supposed to be travelling to Manchester from London. Are internal flights a viable alternative or would I have trouble getting to an airport? How do busses work - I am assuming there is some sort of National Carrier and I would need to get somewhere first. Any help appreciated.
Hi Tarbal,

Another idea could be to hire a car? Companies like Europcar let you pick up an drop off in different cities.

I know not ideal with the possible (probable) traffic (and not as environmentally friendly as a train!) but it would give me peace of mind that I would have a way of definitely getting up to Manchester rather than finding bus stops or coaches (which could be delayed or even cancelled)

Obviously I don't know what the traffic is like where Tarbal lives in Australia, but I doubt if it's anywhere near as bad as London and Manchester, or anywhere in-between. Not something that I, personally, would recommend to anyone not used to driving in heavy traffic or unfamiliar with the roads :shocked: The only plus side is that we drive on the same side of the road.

Obviously I don't know what the traffic is like where Tarbal lives in Australia, but I doubt if it's anywhere near as bad as London and Manchester, or anywhere in-between. Not something that I, personally, would recommend to anyone not used to driving in heavy traffic or unfamiliar with the roads :shocked: The only plus side is that we drive on the same side of the road.
3 cars at the traffic lights is a traffic jam! And heaven help us if we have to sit through two changes of traffic lights. I live about 6 km from the CBD and it takes me 10 minutes to drive to work which is on the other side of the CBD.

3 cars at the traffic lights is a traffic jam! And heaven help us if we have to sit through two changes of traffic lights. I live about 6 km from the CBD and it takes me 10 minutes to drive to work which is on the other side of the CBD.
I would not recommend the M6 to you on a quiet day let alone a train strike day!

It's similar to USA, a friend lives in Vermont & told me she was coming over & had a break between flights so could I meet her at Heathrow for a coffee as, " You're in London, so it shouldn't take you long to get there".
I'm a good hour & half from Heathrow on a good day, middle of the night & with a prevailing wind. Last time it took me nearly 2 hrs with traffic, never mind parking etc.
She was so shocked when I told her it can take 20 mins at least to drive to shopping centre 4 miles away :laughing: