Top Tech Tips?

Freezing sterilized nutrient agar. I usually make a batch of 6x250ml conical flasks, 150ml in each flask. One flask is enough to pour 20 small or 10 larger Petri dishes.
And next time I need it, I just grab it from the freezer and bring it to boil on a hot plate :)
Just a question: if it is sterile, why do you freeze it?

Freezing sterilized nutrient agar. I usually make a batch of 6x250ml conical flasks, 150ml in each flask. One flask is enough to pour 20 small or 10 larger Petri dishes.
And next time I need it, I just grab it from the freezer and bring it to boil on a hot plate :)
If it's sterilized you can keep it at room temp and save your freezer space :)

If it's sterilized you can keep it at room temp and save your freezer space :)
Just a question: if it is sterile, why do you freeze it?
It does last months at room temp, but it lasts indefinitely in the freezer :D Plus you don't have to worry about water loss/drying if you aren't storing it in screw top bottles. With the amount of microbiology we do here 6x150ml is more than enough for a full academic year. I suppose only use my hack if you are blessed with lots of freezer space (or aren't doing a lot of microbiology pracs).

clairelucas

COMMITTEE
It does last months at room temp, but it lasts indefinitely in the freezer :D Plus you don't have to worry about water loss/drying if you aren't storing it in screw top bottles. With the amount of microbiology we do here 6x150ml is more than enough for a full academic year. I suppose only use my hack if you are blessed with lots of freezer space (or aren't doing a lot of microbiology pracs).
...and a hotplate!
Though presumably could make up any amount, and just re-autoclave when needed..

...and a hotplate!
Though presumably could make up any amount, and just re-autoclave when needed..
Bunsen should do the work as well, it's only 150ml that you need to bring to a boil. Microwave will also get the job done, but it's a bit more nerve-racking as you have to watch it like a hawk so it doesn't boil over.

writing on bottles & jars how to make each solution
eg: " 250ml of 0.1M = 2.43g" and so on....
I do this on most things for most common molarities needed
Saves so much time & brain work throughout year!

Can I have another? Freezing anything that can be frozen! Solutions, plants, whatever. Try things that you wouldn't think would work. Don't just listen to anyone that says it won't ;)
Freeze foods for testing, chopped up cheese, bread and ham, pasta, lemonade can all be in the freezer and leftovers can be refrozen as they aren't going to be eaten (in theory).

Ironically named whiteboards that smudge instead of wiping off can be improved by the application of WD40 after a deep clean. I found it on this website and have done it on a couple of our boards. so far they actually wipe of like they should even using the green pen!!!! I'll be interested to see how long this lasts and will report back if I come across any issues.

Ironically named whiteboards that smudge instead of wiping off can be improved by the application of WD40 after a deep clean. I found it on this website and have done it on a couple of our boards. so far they actually wipe of like they should even using the green pen!!!! I'll be interested to see how long this lasts and will report back if I come across any issues.
I really like this idea, and have my fingers crossed that it continues to work. If it makes the cleaning easier it has got to be worth a try.