Tollens reagent

Hello,

I am hoping to make some Tollens reagent but so far have not been able to find the exact amounts I need for the silver nitrate or the sodium hydroxide. I know it is 1 M Ammonium solution dropped in at the end. Any help would be great.

Thank you

I miss out the NaOH. 0.1M silver nitrate, add 2M ammonia drop wise until precipitation occurs then continue to add ammonia until precipitate disappears. Make minimum volume required, prepare immediately before use and dispose of right after.

TechZoe

the boss technician lady
Hi Maddy, your post suggests you're planning to make and store Tollen's reagent ? According to CLEAPSS Tollen's reagent must be made in situ, and disposed of no more than 30 minutes after preparation. Apologies if I've misunderstood this ! As for the concentrations, I believe we use 0.1M silver nitrate and 0.4M ('bench strength') sodium hydroxide. Hope this helps :)

I am not planning on storing it, I have read the risks of that. It is for a science club on Thursday so will dispose of it as soon as it has finished.
I believe we use 0.1M silver nitrate and 0.4M ('bench strength') sodium hydroxide.
What volume do you use of each or is it just equal amounts of each?
I miss out the NaOH. 0.1M silver nitrate, add 2M ammonia drop wise until precipitation occurs then continue to add ammonia until precipitate disappears. Make minimum volume required, prepare immediately before use and dispose of right after.
Does this give a better mirror effect or is the same?

Either recipe sounds okay though

Hi Maddy, your post suggests you're planning to make and store Tollen's reagent ? According to CLEAPSS Tollen's reagent must be made in situ, and disposed of no more than 30 minutes after preparation. Apologies if I've misunderstood this ! As for the concentrations, I believe we use 0.1M silver nitrate and 0.4M ('bench strength') sodium hydroxide. Hope this helps :)
I am not planning on storing it, I have read the risks of that. It is for a science club on Thursday so will dispose of it as soon as it has finished.

Else an explosive Nitride may be formed.:D:D:rolleyes:

COMMITTEE
I regularly do the Tollens' test in ALevel Chemistry teaching - this method works every time.

1. Add 1 ml of silver nitrate to a test tube.
2. Add 5 drops of 0.5M NaOH - forms a brown ppt of silver oxide
3. Add drop-wise 1M ammonium hydroxide (3-4 drops is usually sufficient) - the precipitate re-dissolves.
4. Add ethanal and bung the test tube.
5. place in a beaker of warm water from the kettle.
6. A beautiful 'silver-mirror' forms.

When I last did it a few days ago I've kept the boiling tube in this case, attached a picture of the result.

Attachments

• Silver Mirror.jpg
    Silver Mirror.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 23
I regularly do the Tollens' test in ALevel Chemistry teaching - this method works every time.

3. Add drop-wise 1M ammonium hydroxide (3-4 drops is usually sufficient) - the precipitate re-dissolves.

When I last did it a few days ago I've kept the boiling tube in this case, attached a picture of the result.
Silver Nitride. Don’t mind admitting I lost my rag last year when the supposedly expert chemist went to make a 1000ml of the stuff.

Hello,

I am hoping to make some Tollens reagent but so far have not been able to find the exact amounts I need for the silver nitrate or the sodium hydroxide. I know it is 1 M Ammonium solution dropped in at the end. Any help would be great.

Thank you
Instead of using a smelly aldehyde (such as ethanal, propanal or benzaldehyde) why not use glucose solution? Glucose has an aldehydic group and will produce a fab silver mirror.:);)

Correct George as always. :) It works very well, just make sure it is fairly concentrated.

I will give it a try on Thursday and let you know the results. Thank you :)
Here's a Silver Mirror made with a Spoonful of Sugar (Glucose):D:D:rolleyes: