Toilets

Four years ago the student toilets in the science dept were refurbished and made unisex. It meant the the old girls toilets were empty, but quickly the IT dept took it over as a storeroom. And it's remained like that since.
There are no staff toilets in the science dept. We are in the upper part of a block. The lower part was admin and languages with the only staff toilets in the whole block being in admin. This wasn't ideal for us in science as it was down two flights of stairs and through the staff room. We were told by our new HOD that we must not wear our lab coats in the staff room, so often trying to remember that when you're busting was hard. Anyway, nearly 18 months ago they decided to refurbish admin, and so the toilets were out of action. All the admin staff were relocated. So, for us in science, wanting to use the toilet is a trek across school grounds to another block. Not only does this take up way too much time, but I'm at an age that when nature calls, it's pretty urgent. I have had accidents (sorry if that's TMI) and it's not a nice feeling. I have raised this with the HOD who can't see the problem. I have asked if the old girls toilets (which are just outside the prep room) can be made into staff toilets instead of a storage room for IT. I also suffer with bad knees which makes going down stairs a slow process. We aren't allowed (and frankly I wouldn't want to) use the students toilets. Does anyone else have a problem like this? Are your staff toilets miles away from the science dept? The new admin refurbishment has come to a halt and it is nowhere near finished so it's going to be this situation for some time to come..

Rant over!

I found some toilet guide lines from the NEU

Minimum number of toilets and washbasins for staff​

The tables below shows the minimum number of toilets and washbasins which should be provided for staff. As noted above, employers must provide separate toilets for use by men and women unless each toilet is in its own room with a door capable of being secured from inside.
Where men and women are provided with separate toilets, then separate calculations should be made for the men’s facilities and women’s facilities using this table.

Number of people at work Number of WCs Number of washbasins
1-5 1 1
6-25 2 2
26-50 3 3
51-75 4 4
76-100 5 5

Source: Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992, Regulation 20/21: ACoP, paragraphs 201-202.

Don't know if this helps fight your case for the toilets by you to be reopened as staff toilets

I'm lucky in that there are female staff toilets on the floor that I mainly work on - 3 loos in there! I have IBS and quite frankly, if there wasn't a loo nearby I would probably spend my whole day panicking - just knowing there wasn't one available would set off a whole stress reaction :crying: I would definitely go higher as others have suggested. It's just not acceptable to have to go to those lengths. I certainly wouldn't accept being told to use the pupil toilets either. We have workplace rights as Murrs has stated above. Good luck - I feel your pain.:(

Four years ago the student toilets in the science dept were refurbished and made unisex. It meant the the old girls toilets were empty, but quickly the IT dept took it over as a storeroom. And it's remained like that since.
There are no staff toilets in the science dept. We are in the upper part of a block. The lower part was admin and languages with the only staff toilets in the whole block being in admin. This wasn't ideal for us in science as it was down two flights of stairs and through the staff room. We were told by our new HOD that we must not wear our lab coats in the staff room, so often trying to remember that when you're busting was hard. Anyway, nearly 18 months ago they decided to refurbish admin, and so the toilets were out of action. All the admin staff were relocated. So, for us in science, wanting to use the toilet is a trek across school grounds to another block. Not only does this take up way too much time, but I'm at an age that when nature calls, it's pretty urgent. I have had accidents (sorry if that's TMI) and it's not a nice feeling. I have raised this with the HOD who can't see the problem. I have asked if the old girls toilets (which are just outside the prep room) can be made into staff toilets instead of a storage room for IT. I also suffer with bad knees which makes going down stairs a slow process. We aren't allowed (and frankly I wouldn't want to) use the students toilets. Does anyone else have a problem like this? Are your staff toilets miles away from the science dept? The new admin refurbishment has come to a halt and it is nowhere near finished so it's going to be this situation for some time to come..

Rant over!
Our science toilets are located in the Art block, across the yard.

clairelucas

COMMITTEE
Effectively the disabled toilets are also labelled as staff toilets, the only purpose-built staff toilets are near the main entrance/reception. Just wondering, if it is a problem for you, must be some suitable (legally) for disabled facilities?

I am in a similar situation ie staff toilets a good walk away in the main block and up 2 flights of stairs. Me and the female science teachers basically operate in pairs - one stands outside the toilets stopping kids going in while the other uses the loo and vice versa. The joys of a sprawling 1960s built school with bits added on cheaply and in a hurry over the last 60 years!

We're very lucky that we have a unisex staff toilet on our corridor (pretty sure it used to be a cupboard :laughing:).

Your situation sounds terrible - definitely speak to your union.

It is incumbent on your HoD to provide adequate facilities, not just because of the workplace regs, but also your own personal situation. You shouldn't have to risk injury in order to avoid an indignity, and this could incur the wrath of the disability discrimination act, as it would prevent others in similar situations from being able to use the loo.

On a side note, when they renovated this block in the early nineties, they decided the best way to improve the gents' on my floor was to brick them up... they've remained that way ever since. The lady's became the gent's and we have toilets alternating on each floor, but it does worry me that we have this vacancy that is seemingly bricked up for no reason... we'll find out why when they demolish the place soon...

I work in a girls school originally run by Nuns...so you can imagine how many male toilets there are!

Ladies had one toilet and the men used the disabled toilet, all staff from 3 blocks used this one toilet, they have since made them unisex, so we know have 2 toilets for 3 blocks. You really have to plan you visit, the other toilet is by the staff room (currently out of bounds due to covid), which is in a completely different block.

Sorry to hear this Tracey, your workplace has a duty of care, and it doesn't sound as if they are doing much in the 'caring!' :mad:

There is a paragraph in this HSE document which may help you fight your corner...

Page 38 Regulation 21

188 Sufficient toilet and washing facilities should be provided to allow everyone at work to use them without unreasonable delay.
189 Provision must be made for any workers with a disability to enable them to have access to facilities which are adjusted for their use if necessary.
190 Facilities should be located so they are convenient. They do not have to be within the workplace, but they should, if possible, be within the building.

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE

Rant over!
Up until a couple of years ago, the ladies bogs were at the far side of the school, which was quite a walk, there were only 3 actual bogs in the toilets. latterly, we were allowed to use the kids disabled bog, which is over our side o the school. Sice lockdown, the boys bogs in our building have been converted into a ladies staff bog, so things are better now.