Time scaler & Frequency Meter

We use Griffin Time scaler & Frequency Meter for radioactivity counting. It is same as this one on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203182144489. The instruction was lost. Can anyone tell me if I can use solid state detector (SS) as Geiger counter? It sounds silly as the GM detector is just next to SS detector; it is because the new GM tube holder we bought is from Philip Harris, it uses BNC connector! But the GM detector on this apparatus can be only fit with TNC.

Grateful for your thoughts and advice.

We use Griffin Time scaler & Frequency Meter for radioactivity counting. It is same as this one on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203182144489. The instruction was lost. Can anyone tell me if I can use solid state detector (SS) as Geiger counter? It sounds silly as the GM detector is just next to SS detector; it is because the new GM tube holder we bought is from Philip Harris, it uses BNC connector! But the GM detector on this apparatus can be only fit with TNC.

Grateful for your thoughts and advice.
are you sure it's tnc and not a PET100 connection which the philip harris ones have.

1605786897097.png

These older pieces of nuclear equipment generally used PET100 connectors - now as rare as hen's teeth.

I changed mine for BNC connectors - they fit the same hole. It is just a question of selecting a suitable type and ensuring access inside the instrument (I cannot help with the Griffin one) to get to the fixing nut and to solder the wire.

Never done that before. Is it ok to do it by myself?
Very easy, RS solder ones come with wire trimming details, it's important to get the distances correct. The hardest part is buying small numbers with out a delivery charge. Could always approach a supplier for a 'sample'.

These older pieces of nuclear equipment generally used PET100 connectors - now as rare as hen's teeth.

I changed mine for BNC connectors - they fit the same hole. It is just a question of selecting a suitable type and ensuring access inside the instrument (I cannot help with the Griffin one) to get to the fixing nut and to solder the wire.
Thank you Alan. That is what I concerned-- to find a suitable PET100 connector.

Very easy, RS solder ones come with wire trimming details, it's important to get the distances correct. The hardest part is buying small numbers with out a delivery charge. Could always approach a supplier for a 'sample'.
What does the distance correct mean? Sorry, am I asking a silly question?

If you've not soldered before, it can be a bit tricky. Practice soldering on some other bits of wire. Put a little solder on the iron tip, them touch the joint with the iron feeding solder from the other side, so you heat through the joint. Use 18 swg solder for small joints like these.

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE