Time requirement for prcaticals

Dr.Roo

Best dressed trans' tech in the dept. X
Hi
I'm making a list of practicals which have a long lead time, or that are seasonal.
Teaching staff seem to ask for stuff which need sourcing in advance, take time to prepare or are just out of season.

What could I put on it?
- Garlic roots for root squash mitosis,
- Tollens (short lead time),
- agar plates, maybe,
- elodiya (although some of you grow it in labs).

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
Hi
I'm making a list of practicals which have a long lead time, or that are seasonal.
Teaching staff seem to ask for stuff which need sourcing in advance, take time to prepare or are just out of season.

What could I put on it?
- Garlic roots for root squash mitosis,
- Tollens (short lead time),
- agar plates, maybe,
- elodiya (although some of you grow it in labs).
algal balls/pond weed buubling
maggots
daphnia
cauliflower cloning
enzyme practicals

Food tests.

This is particularly relevant to me right now, as I have had a late request submitted on Sunday (I don't check at the weekend, since my deadline is Thursday evening) for food tests period 2 Monday morning (i.e. 2 hours from now). I don't have much of anything in, and he wants 16 sets. I am stressed the hell out.

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
Food tests.

This is particularly relevant to me right now, as I have had a late request submitted on Sunday (I don't check at the weekend, since my deadline is Thursday evening) for food tests period 2 Monday morning (i.e. 2 hours from now). I don't have much of anything in, and he wants 16 sets. I am stressed the hell out.
I occasionally get food test requests at short notice - I keep a stock of dried foods for this very event (powdered milk, UHT milk, powdered potato (smash), dried albumen, sugar, glucose, starch, dried bread, biscuits, crisps, dried fruit pieces, suet, cooking oil and some frozen items morsels of meat etc.).
Despite having deadlines some continually keep pushing the boundaries. It's the nature of the job I have come to accept, but never make it easy for them, so I let them panic a bit before I give in, as I will avoid punishing the students for teacher mistakes at all costs.

Food tests.

I have a set of food samples (ones mentioned on the gcse prac) ground up dry in a liquidiser in jam jars in a tray. sometimes the bread goes blue.

Nothing requiring bacterial lawns on a Monday, I'm not in on Sundays to inoculate the broths.
Pondweed and photosynthesis - not in January please?
Dissections - it's getting harder to source eyeballs etc. and we can no longer order chicken legs, hearts, kidneys via food tech's Tesco orders.

Nothing requiring bacterial lawns on a Monday, I'm not in on Sundays to inoculate the broths.
Pondweed and photosynthesis - not in January please?
Dissections - it's getting harder to source eyeballs etc. and we can no longer order chicken legs, hearts, kidneys via food tech's Tesco orders.
We find incubating at room temperature over the weekend works well enough for anything we do with plates.

Food tests.

Definite no or demo for me

Food tests.

We have a store of dried and frozen food, we have even used left over sample for schools stuff in the past. But 2 hour notice is not enough for any practical!

Food tests.

This is particularly relevant to me right now, as I have had a late request submitted on Sunday (I don't check at the weekend, since my deadline is Thursday evening) for food tests period 2 Monday morning (i.e. 2 hours from now). I don't have much of anything in, and he wants a demo with 16 sets later in the week. I am stressed the hell out.