Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
We keep 75 leads in each lab and have power packs on trolleys. It is a huge improvement for us, has completely altered the maintenance requirements for ray boxes. Fit and forget.

I don't quite understand this ( derr), surely you then need to put out leads & power packs?

I think it depends on how the school operates, but for some I can see this being better. Some schools are able to keep leads and power packs in their labs so I can see this setup being tidier and easier to look after.
I do think its a great idea, but having thought about it a bit more I realised that as I'd then need to put leads and power packs out with the rayboxes it wouldn't be any better as the students here really can't look after the leads. The setup I have at the moment has connection wires attached to the rayboxes which are untidy, but do plug directly into the PSU's so there's no need for leads. They seem to look after the rayboxes better and repairs are generally quite easy on them.

Our ray boxes have little battery boxes on the end. It saves using power pks. and no cables to damage.

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
Our ray boxes have little battery boxes on the end. It saves using power pks. and no cables to damage.

those are LED rayboxes. We were talking about filament bulb ones with 12V bulbs and mains power supplies.

I'm really glad we followed this tip because when it came to needing a solution to not being able to use mains power supplies in labs with rows of benches that didn't work with our pods I could easily change the rayboxes over to LED and use battery strips as supplies.

The LEDs and drivers were donated by a supplier, and it took just a few minutes to convert each one. We use them with our home made battery strips of 4 D cells, fit 15 sets with everything needed in a tray, stick them on a trolley and they wander around year bubbles ever so happily.