karen b

COMMITTEE
We have now started putting out a tray with the electrical equipment with a big label on it for broken items to go in. It mostly works.

I put a tray labelled 'coffin' for all the broken /dead stuff in each lab and it works much better than expecting everybody to separate non functioning equipment and point it out to us,

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
Nick we have some of he same Ray Boxes and like your idea . One point do you have problems with the light bulb coming loose in the housing ?

Thanks

Paul

I just pinched the idea, but if you look at the pic you will see I have a different light fitting to the original metal ones. We buy in a better quality fitting and the extra cable grip. I see the newer ones do have a better fitting.

karen b

COMMITTEE
Nick we have some of he same Ray Boxes and like your idea . One point do you have problems with the light bulb coming loose in the housing ?

Thanks

Paul

Do you mean the brass fitting the light bulb screws into comes loose? On the ones we have it seems like the hole drilled in the Ray box is too big for the lamp holder so it can jiggle about.

paul r

COMMITTEE
I just pinched the idea, but if you look at the pic you will see I have a different light fitting to the original metal ones. We buy in a better quality fitting and the extra cable grip. I see the newer ones do have a better fitting.
where did you get light fitting from ?
Thanks

I would love to do this with my rayboxes, but we've got the metal ones here and I'm not sure I've got the tool to be able to drill holes in them. I'll have to have a chat with my site crew to see if they can help.

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
I used a hand drill to do the first metal one, but we will used a pillar drill to do the rest. We are using a hand drill for the plastic ones.

Has anyone tried the Ray boxes with a battery pack attached. My feeling is that the packs will disappear! Plus there is the added expense of buying batteries.
We use LED ones as the teachers were concerned that the others are too hot ( we have had no accidents in all the time we have used them!)
So expensive though, range from £40-£46 each!
Any tips on this?

Has anyone tried the Ray boxes with a battery pack attached. My feeling is that the packs will disappear! Plus there is the added expense of buying batteries.
We use LED ones as the teachers were concerned that the others are too hot ( we have had no accidents in all the time we have used them!)
So expensive though, range from £40-£46 each!
Any tips on this?

I have bought a few of these from different vendors for appraisal, here are my findings so far...
1. All ours are 3V, the forward voltage for the power LEDs is 3 to 3.3V, this means that the LUX output will start falling before the batteries are ehausted.
2. Spectral distribution, the generic LEDs used are not spectrally balanced, so for some prism use they are useless and some teachers now do not want to use them. (See attached pictures). Not one is really suitable for showing dispertion...
3. Vandalism and theft are rife, so the battery holders on the Ray Boxes would not last very long here! However the ones with sensible 5V wall warts seem more viable.

Attachments

• LED Spectrum 2.png
    LED Spectrum 2.png
    278.2 KB · Views: 23
  • warmNcool_largeLED Spectrum 3.jpg
    warmNcool_largeLED Spectrum 3.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 17