Tidier power cables for Irwin LW Power Supplies

Hi all,

Hopefully this might be of interest to some:

I find that the power cables on Irwin LV power supplies/Signal Generators end up messy and loose, (fold cable around, tuck plug in), it's a fiddle even if you do it yourself, so I find that the students rarely put them away nicely.

Here's what I've been plotting to do for a while.
I've been saving up those 3 pin plug protectors (your IT dept. might be able to help) and I also bought some off EBay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-x-3-P...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
(£5.80 for 20 at time of writing).

Then I wind the cable up, measure up and hot glue the plug protector in place at the correct angle for that unit, as below:

100_0500.JPG 100_0501.JPG

(The circular arrow tells me the best direction to wrap as they all seem to vary.)

It's early days, I've yet to see if it is effective long term. I might need a stronger glue.
Anyone have other ways they do this, or suggestions for improvements?

Hi all,

Hopefully this might be of interest to some:

I find that the power cables on Irwin LV power supplies/Signal Generators end up messy and loose, (fold cable around, tuck plug in), it's a fiddle even if you do it yourself, so I find that the students rarely put them away nicely.

Here's what I've been plotting to do for a while.
I've been saving up those 3 pin plug protectors (your IT dept. might be able to help) and I also bought some off EBay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-x-3-Pins-UK-Plug-Protector-Cover-Dust-Cap-Child-Safety-Nylon-White-Colour/331964344947?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
(£5.80 for 20 at time of writing).

Then I wind the cable up, measure up and hot glue the plug protector in place at the correct angle for that unit, as below:

View attachment 3429 View attachment 3430

(The circular arrow tells me the best direction to wrap as they all seem to vary.)

It's early days, I've yet to see if it is effective long term. I might need a stronger glue.
Anyone have other ways they do this, or suggestions for improvements?
Yep, a great idea

Update:
I don't know if anyone else did this but I have noticed that the hot glue isn't lasting, (especially if left in the sun!) so I'm stepping up on the gluing.

I've tried two new methods:
1) Sticking with the hot glue but scoring the surface with a Stanley to give it a better key.
2) Epoxy glue.

I'll see what happens.

Update:
I don't know if anyone else did this but I have noticed that the hot glue isn't lasting, (especially if left in the sun!) so I'm stepping up on the gluing.

I've tried two new methods:
1) Sticking with the hot glue but scoring the surface with a Stanley to give it a better key.
2) Epoxy glue.

I'll see what happens.
Is that cos you got soft melt glue sticks?
Lots of D&T depts. tend to buy the low temperature melting sticks to prevent burns, that'd explain why the sun is re-melting it

Is that cos you got soft melt glue sticks?
Lots of D&T depts. tend to buy the low temperature melting sticks to prevent burns, that'd explain why the sun is re-melting it
Ah, thanks, could well be. The hot glue has been fine for most things I've used them for but a combination of very smooth surfaces, movement and tension, as well as sun obviously haven't helped.

Any recommendations on brands and types?

We tend to get Bostik ones, they are "brand" ones but if |I'm glue gunning something fixed I want quality to make sure it stays stuck ;)

Utterly pointless. It may encourage users to stretch the cable in order to secure the plug. Cables should be free and not restrained in any way.

paul r

COMMITTEE
We tend to get Bostik ones, they are "brand" ones but if |I'm glue gunning something fixed I want quality to make sure it stays stuck ;)
I used to work for Bostik !! I can confirm in my day( many years ago!) formulations were checked against cheaper ones. The conclusion was that the less expensive gluesticks contained cheaper raw materials hence the quality was not as good .I hope the situation has not changed and Bostik still manufacture high quality products !

I used to work for Bostik !! I can confirm in my day( many years ago!) formulations were checked against cheaper ones. The conclusion was that the less expensive gluesticks contained cheaper raw materials hence the quality was not as good .I hope the situation has not changed and Bostik still manufacture high quality products !
CovTech thinks they're still good quality, good to know. It seems like even the quality manufacturers these days are cutting corners whilst charging the same prices or higher, so it's nice to hear something counter to that.