Theme Park!

Some of ours, ones that have below a certain number of negatives for the year, which is why it went down from 500 to 250 pupils. Are going to Blackpool on Friday. Apparently I was down to go but the email got sent to someone else with the same initials as me, in a different school. Anyway the confusion got me out of going, I hate Blackpool and rides!
Those with negatives are being punished by going to Blackpool?

We went on the Zipworld Titan zipline - it was great! Very much recommend. I don't remember if its the one with the caves and nets though because we only did the zipline.
Is that the one across the quarry? Do you think you could do it with a duff back? I really want to do it. ( Although I 100% would be convinced I was about to die)

Is that the one across the quarry? Do you think you could do it with a duff back? I really want to do it. ( Although I 100% would be convinced I was about to die)

There are a few different ones in different locations. We did the Titan in Snowdonia which goes over a quarry but it didn't have water in it. On the Titan one you are in a sitting position so would be fine for your back I think. The Velocity one is the one where you are lying down on your front - I didn't fancy that one! I think that's the one where you go over a quarry filled with water.

It was great fun and I am a bit of a wuss! We lucked out though because somehow we were first up to have a go and if I'd been waiting for a while watching others go before me I might have got a bit twitchy!!

Thoroughly recommend it!

We've got a trip of 200 kids going to Alton Towers next week, and god help me, I volunteered to help :laughing: (They specifically were asking for extra first aiders and I have just done my qualification so I feel they would have asked anyway)
I'm old enough to remember Alton Towers BEFORE there was a theme park there - it was just beautiful gardens, a large paddling pool and a little train ride. We used to go there for day trips as children (grew up in North Staffordshire).
I remember the year the corkscrew ride first opened - I have a certificate somewhere to say I rode it in its first season!!!! Seems really tame now, but at the time it was ground-breaking and one-of-a-kind! :laughing:

I'm old enough to remember Alton Towers BEFORE there was a theme park there - it was just beautiful gardens, a large paddling pool and a little train ride. We used to go there for day trips as children (grew up in North Staffordshire).
I remember the year the corkscrew ride first opened - I have a certificate somewhere to say I rode it in its first season!!!! Seems really tame now, but at the time it was ground-breaking and one-of-a-kind! :laughing:

The last time I went there was 1989 on a 5th year (year 11) school trip and we went on the Corkscrew! Haven't been since :laughing:

We have an annual pass for Drayton as our little one loves Thomas land. Would never go with the school kids. Be like herding hyperactive cats who have been snacking on catnip on ice. Kudos to anyone who does.

My girlfriend's a huge theme park fan, and managed to talk me into getting on a ride at a funfair in May. I hated every second of it, and it was a pretty tame ride. She's threatening to take me to Alton Towers over the summer and I know it's going to end poorly. So overall, I pass on those sorts of trips. I wouldn't say no to being invited on the museum trips though...

I haven’t been to Drayton Manor since I was about 12 years old. Never thought to take my children. My husband doesn’t do spinny round things so we avoided this type of thing.

I went to Spring Lakes with Year 8 this year. One girl managed to slice her leg on something doing the swim test, another needed stitches on her face after coming off the kneel boarding. I would have sent the first girl to be assessed but was overruled.

Going to Yorkshire Wildlife Park on Monday with 88 year 8's. Going as a first aider. Told them I'm taking a book and sitting in the cafe.

Not this session, but this time next year we're taking about 50 (at the moment, demerits will reduce the number - thankfully!) to Disneyland Paris on the way back from a battlefields' trip to Belgium/France. I think the way it works here is just so long as we get them through the door they then get to go and do their own thing with only a couple of check-ins throughout the day (if any) before everyone piling back on the bus at the end of the day... At least, that's how it worked when we went to Alton Towers a few years ago.

I'm hoping my theme park skills will endear me to the kids, since I don't know any of them well/at all, and they'll be nice to me in return for all the tips and tricks (and also because I'm not a teacher!).

Reactions: kaj
Leicester for the National Space Centre this week, (my first trip as staff) which is more my speed. Don't do rollercoasters or 28-hour queues!
Pro-Tip: Do the tower first.
On the way up, make them take the stairs with the promise that they can take the glass lift in groups to go down IF they behave, which keeps them nicely under control in the first half hour.
Once that's done they'll be too tired out to cause trouble in the rest of the centre.

Was always my route when I took trips there at my old school and my group was always the best behaved. Now you know my secret. :laughing:

My girlfriend's a huge theme park fan, and managed to talk me into getting on a ride at a funfair in May. I hated every second of it, and it was a pretty tame ride. She's threatening to take me to Alton Towers over the summer and I know it's going to end poorly. So overall, I pass on those sorts of trips. I wouldn't say no to being invited on the museum trips though...
I love rides & love being scared...to a point. The really large ones with a stomach churning drop, are not for me. I'm convinced that I will either embarrass myself by being sick, or die. Not dramatic at all! :laughing:
Funnily enough, I went on one ride that was going backwards, in the dark, and was fine. My sons pointed out that it was exactly the same ride as one I'd refused to go on - in the light & forwards.

Love rides, especially with drops! But not keen on spinney things, like waltzers, though most theme park rides ok as not likely to give you whiplash...
Only trip I've gone on is to Museum of Science and Industry, as a small group, and I get on well with the teacher in charge... as I went as the first aider. Mostly don't get asked/thought of, which is fine too....

Love rides, especially with drops! But not keen on spinney things, like waltzers, though most theme park rides ok as not likely to give you whiplash...
Only trip I've gone on is to Museum of Science and Industry, as a small group, and I get on well with the teacher in charge... as I went as the first aider. Mostly don't get asked/thought of, which is fine too....
Yeah I don't do drops. Went to Toverland with my children at half-term and they have a self-service drop tower. You pull yourself up and you can just release at the top or gently lower yourself down again which me and youngest enjoyed because you get a good view at the top. Middle is a roller coaster fan and was devastated when her school cancelled the reward trip to Blackpool because not enough signed up for it. She's old enough now to be dropped off with a friend so we took them anyway and then explored Lytham.

We do Culture Capital Week this week, 4 days of all the students doing trips into London (at the Mayor of Londons expense). I went to the National Gallery with year 7 on Tuesday, British Museum with year 8 yesterday, CSI day in school with year 9 today and off to the V&A with year 9 tomorrow

Back