The Loft of Doom

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE
i am loving picture 052 :heart:with the brass do dah thingy. I don't have a clue what it is, but, I want it for my lounge - Iam only in Ormskirk and could collect it. !!! :sun: please????????????????????????????????????????????????

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE
I have to say, that until seeing all of this beautifully made equipment, I had no interest in fizziks until now, i am also loving the marble top on one of your "bits". I would love a root in your loft of doom. Drew Pritchard would be loving that old chair too!

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
i am loving picture 052 :heart:with the brass do dah thingy. I don't have a clue what it is, but, I want it for my lounge - Iam only in Ormskirk and could collect it. !!! :sun: please????????????????????????????????????????????????

The thing on the left is a dip circle, used to measure the inclination of the earth's magnetic field. The black thing is a reflecting galvanometer. Originally invented by Lord Kelvin when the signal from transatlantic cables was found to be so small. Now the principle is mainly used in laser light shows.

What a fascinating collection! We have hundreds of items from the past, still in original boxes. Some of them, we have no idea what they were used for. They take up a lot of space but it is hard to know what to do with them. We cannot make a decision as technicians and the school management team are always so busy, so we just store them.

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
What a fascinating collection! We have hundreds of items from the past, still in original boxes. Some of them, we have no idea what they were used for. They take up a lot of space but it is hard to know what to do with them. We cannot make a decision as technicians and the school management team are always so busy, so we just store them.

Always happy to help, identify, suggest uses, give an idea of value

karen b

COMMITTEE
The Ribbon Atwood Acceleration Machine.
Weight of wheel 0.268LB 122g
Eqivalent Mass 0.109LB 49g
Sole makers G Cussons.
The Technical works
Manchester
That fits with what I was thinking. I don’t remember where I played with one before, either at school or in a university physics department.

I think it is sort of like a ticker tape timer except the flexible arm moves side to side and you count oscillations drawn on a tape.

Always fancied playing with an attwood, you see them on ebay sometimes. I like the steam engine, and the geissler tubes. I have quite a few of both at home and a froment geissler rotator.
If only I had room at home for collecting Physics stuff (on top of the PCs, Raspberry Pis, Esp8266s etc)
Ive never connected the tubes to a supply, but If I ever get back from furlough I'll give it a go)
I love the Post office Wheatstone bridge (Box with 5 dials and 4 terminals) Only used once or twice in my 30years.

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE
If only I had room at home for collecting Physics stuff (on top of the PCs, Raspberry Pis, Esp8266s etc)
Ive never connected the tubes to a supply, but If I ever get back from furlough I'll give it a go)
I love the Post office Wheatstone bridge (Box with 5 dials and 4 terminals) Only used once or twice in my 30years.
I wondered what the box with the dials was - i like that too. :heart:

That fits with what I was thinking. I don’t remember where I played with one before, either at school or in a university physics department.

I think it is sort of like a ticker tape timer except the flexible arm moves side to side and you count oscillations drawn on a tape.
I agree also. Atwoods try to measure constant acceleration and ribbon Atwoods would record on a ribbon. A quick web search shows a few laced up with the necessary masses included.

Your potential polariscope (measurement of stresses within plastics using polarised light) also matches what I thought it may be as it generally resembles the drawer of extras our polariscope has.