The fragility of society

So, with a BBC piece talking about a minister saying not to panic buy petrol, everyone has started to que for petrol... COVID pandemic, everyone clears the shelves of toilet roll...

Does anyone feel that society sometimes is quite fragile?

I remember after one of the financial dips, thefts from my allotment shot up.

I have an urge to watch some mad max for some reason :D

So, with a BBC piece talking about a minister saying not to panic buy petrol, everyone has started to que for petrol... COVID pandemic, everyone clears the shelves of toilet roll...

Does anyone feel that society sometimes is quite fragile?

I remember after one of the financial dips, thefts from my allotment shot up.

I have an urge to watch some mad max for some reason :D
I think the problem seems to be that most people appear to be morons......

:rolleyes:

It all has a knock on effect, lots will queue for petrol/meat etc, others will see it & think, " sod that for a game of soldiers it will run out, I'd better get some too", then others still, who don't want to join in & are trying to be sensible, don't queue & end up having no petrol/loo rolls ormeat.
So next time it happens they too think, " sod that happening again" & join in!

And then there are those that buy a little extra every time they shop, a tin here, a 4 pack of loo roll there, so that when this happens, are smug gits.

Maybe there is also the elephant in the room regarding the number of people in the world! I guess at some point mother nature will ring us back into line!

I think a lot of it is that people don't trust / believe what the government tells us - "There's plenty of this product" equates to "This product is running out" for many people. So they go out and get plenty of this product which results in a shortage of this product, resulting in people thinking "I was right not to believe what the government said". A self fulfilling prophecy.

I think a lot of it is that people don't trust / believe what the government tells us - "There's plenty of this product" equates to "This product is running out" for many people. So they go out and get plenty of this product which results in a shortage of this product, resulting in people thinking "I was right not to believe what the government said". A self fulfilling prophecy.

True, but in their defense Governments never admit to a crisis until after it actually occurred. You can argue they do so to avert panic but then that justifies panic in the first place lol. You can fool the population only so many times.

I don't agree with panic buying, but I also understand why people do not trust the government when they say all is well, because the reality is it isn't. We have ridiculous high inflation, furlough ending, universal credit cut, supply shortages, fuel poverty going up and I can go on.

All is well though, the stock market and housing is at an all time high, so nothing can go wrong.

True, but in their defense Governments never admit to a crisis until after it actually occurred. You can argue they do so to avert panic but then that justifies panic in the first place lol. You can fool the population only so many times.

I don't agree with panic buying, but I also understand why people do not trust the government when they say all is well, because the reality is it isn't. We have ridiculous high inflation, furlough ending, universal credit cut, supply shortages, fuel poverty going up and I can go on.

All is well though, the stock market and housing is at an all time high, so nothing can go wrong.
I don't disagree with you. For the government, it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Although given the whole working form home situation, perhaps there is a case in flexibility of our employers...

Already had one teaching stating that if she can't get fuel tonight, then she will not be coming in tomorrow....

No-one going to mention the fact that the BBC reporter sent to report was called Phil McCann??? :laughing: :laughing:
Anyone notice that 3 of the people he spoke to in the petrol queue didn't really need to be there, one had a hybrid car but wanted some petrol 'just in case, another wanted to go to a gig and another wanted to have a weekend away with his mates.:rolleyes: When their acado / amazon order doesn't arrive, all due to staff not being able to get to work they will be the first ones to complain

Smug git here:
I live 3miles from work, I can( and have done) walk it in 40 mins, as I'm usually in work 30mins early, the only thing it will affect is my waist line.
I still have half a tank of petrol, so fine for ten days anyway (I'll cut out all but work journeys and walk to the shop 10min

I have a Covid cupboard, stocked up over several weeks, incase I had to isolate. Rice, Pasta and Tinned stuff ... Infact I might just hibernate till spring....

clairelucas

COMMITTEE
Smug git here:
I live 3miles from work, I can( and have done) walk it in 40 mins, as I'm usually in work 30mins early, the only thing it will affect is my waist line.
I still have half a tank of petrol, so fine for ten days anyway (I'll cut out all but work journeys and walk to the shop 10min

I have a Covid cupboard, stocked up over several weeks, incase I had to isolate. Rice, Pasta and Tinned stuff ... Infact I might just hibernate till spring....
We also had a covid cupboard- put up the camping cupboard (so at least once it gets used!) full of 'just in cases'. Taken it down now we have discovered deliveries/takeaways locally...
Also bad for the waistline..

Odd...do people not eat petrol and toilet paper in an emergency?
Years ago, I owned a 1990 VW camper that always smelt of petrol (blocked breather tubes) My daughter (about 12 at the time) loved the smell and decided she would work in a petrol station (or own a sweet shop / become an archeologist) when she grew up. :D
She now manages one of Edinburgh's Krispy Kreme doughnut emporiums.

So...that was a yes then?

People trying to get in to petrol stations have blocked several major roads down here in SE London, including most I have to use.
I have seen the tankers stuck in the traffic in view of the forecourt unable to do anything because of it. Its madness - how does making deliveries of fuel harder help in anyway?
There is no actual shortage just supply chain issues - drive frugally and fill as necessary and KEEP CALM and CARRY ON.

Conspiracies so far:
-Making people stay at home to lower covid rates
-Boosting electric car sales since they don't need petrol
-False flag distraction for something far worse

Reality:
-Severe shortage of lorry drivers and other logistics based jobs thanks to Brexit kicking out the European citizens.

I don't like to say 'I told you so'....but... every day I watch the news and see something happen that has been predicted by experts and sensible people since 2014 or so when all this Brexit chat was started.

Of course my heart goes out to those affected in negative ways by all this, and I have nothing short of pure resentment towards those in power who knew all of this would happen and did nothing to stop it.

Being in NI, you can imagine all the additional 'bull hooks' that have been piled on on top of this :p