testing in schools

Feels like such a waste of time honestly given the following:
1 - Being voluntary essentially means that the entire thing is useless because if little Timmy doesn't like being tested but gets Covid, all his classmates are STILL at risk even if everyone else HAS been tested.

2 - Its been shown time and time again that using a negative test to prove you are safe is rediculous because, as others have said above, some of the tests give false negatives in a range of scenarios and also the fact that it only proves you were negative when the test was taken. You could still become infected between the time you were tested and the time you receive your result.

The only way to make this work would be to have a test that could get results quickly, within 20 minutes for example. That way, you could test every student and staff member on their way into school. Arrive at school, get your swap, wait outside for 20 minutes, if its positive, arrange collection, if its negative, allow them in.

The even BETTER idea though would be to have students and school workers higher up the vaccine list.

I understand that nursing homes were a large source of transmission in the early stages of this infection but honestly its the schools leading the charge infectionwise now. Surely having all kids vaccinated would stop them spreading it so much between eachother and their families??

This whole mass testing idea is just a grand scale waste of time and equipment in my view, it would be better trying to scale up vaccinations instead of rolling out testing to every person :/
There is no evidence as yet that the vaccine stops some one from being infected and in transmitting the virus, so far all that can be said is that it reduces the adverse effects of the infection, less likely to get server symptoms.

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE
We’ve been asked to ‘volunteer’, I’m really not happy, we try to avoid the students as much as possible! We’re in a tier 4 area with almost 600/100,000. I’m also concerned that if they have a negative test, with lateral flow which isn’t that effective at the start of an infection, that all the other measures will be ignored. The lockdown in November had zero impact in Kent, the schools really need to shut to get this back under control IMHO.
I have no intention of being "volunteered" if asked to do so, my reply will be "no"

paul r

COMMITTEE
My list of jobs to do is getting longer by the minute....

Chemical Inventory
Setting up practical templates
Testing Electricity Kit wires bulbs etc
Equipment inventory
Repairs

Etc etc

And we are still doing demo practicals

There are other members of staff who have nothing to do so get the volunteers from that pool of staff !

I was asked to volunteer but still working in the science prep room !

I have been asked by SLT if we have any labcoats that can be used with the promise that they will be laundered before being given back! My understanding is that all PPE is being provided. I also think lab coats are a bad idea because of the risk of cross contamination. Are we trying to make the testers look like medical professionals (who don't wear labcoats for this very reason)?

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE
I have been asked by SLT if we have any labcoats that can be used with the promise that they will be laundered before being given back! My understanding is that all PPE is being provided. I also think lab coats are a bad idea because of the risk of cross contamination. Are we trying to make the testers look like medical professionals (who don't wear labcoats for this very reason)?
PPE will be provided, I would not let my coats be used, i need them for lab work, i imagine disposable aprons, masks, visors and gkloves will be provided, it'll be interesting to see how all of this clinical waste will be disposed of? :ra:

Curious. Since the Army support is "remote assistance only"......I was just wondering where this ".....army of volunteers....." is going to come from to actually do the testing. Unpaid. Untrained. And putting yourself directly at risk.

Ah.....I get it.....it will be all the retired folks who are not at work, right ?? Oops....are they not in the 'vulnerable and shielding' category.....damn, didn't think that one through at all......

Cynical, moi ??!!

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE
Curious. Since the Army support is "remote assistance only"......I was just wondering where this ".....army of volunteers....." is going to come from to actually do the testing. Unpaid. Untrained. And putting yourself directly at risk.

Ah.....I get it.....it will be all the retired folks who are not at work, right ?? Oops....are they not in the 'vulnerable and shielding' category.....damn, didn't think that one through at all......

Cynical, moi ??
i can see this whole testing regime is going to go really well.... so many volunteers... so many spare room to set up the testing site. good job we have BoJo and his decisive well informed judgements and thank god he never back tracks on anything - we all know where we stand!!:thief:

We've been told this morning that the testing team in school is currently being formulated - but that they want to "utilise the skills, expertise, etc that we have in school" - which sounds ominous for us techs....! But then, that the testers would have to "commit for the whole spring term, and possibly beyond" - effectively ruling us out unless no-one wants any pracs ever again...! Apparently, the people they wish to be involved "will be approached......" :confused: Watch this space......!

All the techs in the school were asked to 'volunteer' as children not being in means we have less to do than other staff¬!
LSA's weren't on the email list. hmmm.
I replied saying no to dealing with testing. Yes to admin provided I don't have to go to work in office & mix with anyone.
There are at least 2 techs that have known serious health risks, so why the **** would they even ask them?!
I also complained in my email that some staff refuse to wear masks. it seems one department has decided not to, so management should be 'having a word' surely?
Hardly any teaching staff in school today, they were told they can do training from home, but all techs told to come in, because office staff have to.
There's logic for you. Why not have skeleton staff to man reception & office on a rota?
All the office staff have :
a) locked doors so that no one can enter without mask.
b) screening all around their desks, some with physical barriers too.
c) their own offices in most cases
d) Tape around desks to keep people at distance
All this & they don't have kids going near them anyway!
We have: Sod all! Plus teachers walking in & out not wearing masks, despite my signs on doors.
LFT's aren't v accurate. One of our techs used to work for DEFRA & tested the LTF's so has volunteered to do tests but not to actually works with/help the kids.

We've been told this morning that the testing team in school is currently being formulated - but that they want to "utilise the skills, expertise, etc that we have in school" - which sounds ominous for us techs....! But then, that the testers would have to "commit for the whole spring term, and possibly beyond" - effectively ruling us out unless no-one wants any pracs ever again...! Apparently, the people they wish to be involved "will be approached......" :confused: Watch this space......!
See my message below. Techs have been asked to volunteer. someone needs to look up 'Volunteer ' in the dictionary.

To be honest the way the virus is spreading, our rate around here is 1000 per 100,000, there shouldn't be any group work around school. crackers.
And I wish teachers would wear their damn masks & stop hugging the kids! Yes, we all know you want to be their mate, but stop it!

We find out sometime later today or tomorrow what exactly this all means. Head is off to a meeting with the LEA and all other schools at 2pm this afternoon.......

ajmc98

Don't lick, smell or touch it and you won't die.
i've just volunteered to help and was told I was put down already, I can understand why people are reluctant to volunteer and rightfully so, but god knows how we're going to get kids to do a nasopharyngeal swab.

i've just volunteered to help and was told I was put down already, I can understand why people are reluctant to volunteer and rightfully so, but god knows how we're going to get kids to do a nasopharyngeal swab.
We were just saying that this morning.
I assume school needs parental permission? That's first hurdle. How many of those will withdraw it once the little dears cry about it hurting?
Also, any of you done the lateral Flow test? It's not complicated, but it is fiddly. Kids can't use scissors let alone a fiddly brush/swab, small test tube etc.

I assume school needs parental permission? That's first hurdle. How many of those will withdraw it once the little dears cry about it hurting?
Also, any of you done the lateral Flow test? It's not complicated, but it is fiddly. Kids can't use scissors let alone a fiddly brush/swab, small test tube etc.
My sister (also a sci tech) and I were saying that - some of them can't put a thermometer into a boiling tube without missing and breaking one or the other; how the heck are they going to get the swab into and out of their mouth without touching their cheeks or lips; and then into the tube ?!

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE
yeah and wait till one of them blows their chunks because the swab has made them gag:sick: My man's mate did that whilst doing a test in his car - he had to chuck his chunks into his hand. :shocked:

yeah and wait till one of them blows their chunks because the swab has made them gag:sick: My man's mate did that whilst doing a test in his car - he had to chuck his chunks into his hand. :shocked:
Ha ha ha ha ha.......... one of my lads is doing the testing for the Army in Lancashire..........they have an individual gag-record of 28 in a single day. Up-chucks count triple !!!!

Suspect these will be easily beaten with kids.......