testing in schools

Carol Taylor

Footsore
Has anyone who has had covid (confirmed by PCR) given the test a go? In theory it should be positive.
I was isolating after a +ve PCR test on the 5th, I'm starting my first shift playing med lab technician tomorrow, but yesterday they asked if I wanted to take a test when if I said yes I'd be off again as they reckon you remain PCR +ve as well for over a month.

Carol Taylor

Footsore
5 of the catering team tested positive over the Christmas break. None tested +ve since returning, nor has our HT. My first +ve client tested =ve on our first day of testing and remains at home very unwell 5 weeks on. He said no to the "do you have symptoms?" questions as he only had a cold!! I'm happy to say I told him to clean the bay himself after he sneezed over it.

Has anyone who has had covid (confirmed by PCR) given the test a go? In theory it should be positive.
I was isolating after a +ve PCR test on the 5th, I'm starting my first shift playing med lab technician tomorrow, but yesterday they asked if I wanted to take a test when if I said yes I'd be off again as they reckon you remain PCR +ve as well for over a month.
LFT is only positive if you are infectious, unlike PCR

STEMTech

Dave
We are such a school. One technician assists for 3 hours or so, one day each week. We test all staff and all students weekly. We have about 30 students in at present.

We are testing staff and students weekly. The number of students seems to be growing each week, we have had over 70 students every day this week.
I do not mind the testing, as a lone technician with teaching staff in one day a week, and students in computer rooms or other parts of the school, the science department is a very quiet and lonely place. I am working with staff I wouldn't normally and meeting the kids who are in.

Carol Taylor

Footsore
I know of some schools where techs have been 'volunteered' to be the testers and are spending at least 3 hrs a day doing them.
I test 5 days per week in 2 sessions. 8-9.30, then 11-12. This covers the morning shift of teachers then the afternoon shift coming in. We have about 8 teachers per day "minding" pupils plus extras working from their classrooms. All support staff and all cleaners plus a rota of canteen staff are in school.....

Carol Taylor

Footsore
We are testing staff and students weekly. The number of students seems to be growing each week, we have had over 70 students every day this week.
I do not mind the testing, as a lone technician with teaching staff in one day a week, and students in computer rooms or other parts of the school, the science department is a very quiet and lonely place. I am working with staff I wouldn't normally and meeting the kids who are in.
Our pupil numbers are growing too, about 60 now I think. They get tested twice.

We test staff twice a week and students once a week. Mondays is the busiest day as all staff in plus around 40 students get tested.

the latest dfe email says

• all of the used LFD test kits (swabs, cartridges and devices) should be placed in the small waste bag provided with the kit, this should then be put in your black bag waste bins

anyone seen a small waste bag?

Yes it's precisely the correct size for the entire used kit plus tissue. I was impressed by the thought that has gone into it.
I was impressed too. Although my sister didn't get any bags in her set, so we managed to squeeze all our used bits into one :laughing: (Tight fit though, and the wrappers of the test strips had to go in the bin loose)

I have tested myself twice so far, since getting the kits. No one told me about the uncontrolledly sneezing when you put the swab up your nose, nearly sneezed it out the other night. then spent the rest of the evening with a runny nose and sneezing, oh! what fun.

re the bags.
The email also referred to following waste disposal regulations.
If you follow the waste regulations swabs etc. must be disposed of as clinical waste.
I.E. double bagged with the the outer bag being a yellow clinical waste bag.
So if you are doing this then it does not matter what bags you use for the inner bags.
Could this be what they are trying to say, without saying that the previous instruction to use yellow & tiger bags was wrong?

re the bags.
The email also referred to following waste disposal regulations.
If you follow the waste regulations swabs etc. must be disposed of as clinical waste.
I.E. double bagged with the the outer bag being a yellow clinical waste bag.
So if you are doing this then it does not matter what bags you use for the inner bags.
Could this be what they are trying to say, without saying that the previous instruction to use yellow & tiger bags was wrong?
they changed from clinical waste for in school last week.