testing in schools

Has anyone who has had covid (confirmed by PCR) given the test a go? In theory it should be positive.
I was isolating after a +ve PCR test on the 5th, I'm starting my first shift playing med lab technician tomorrow, but yesterday they asked if I wanted to take a test when if I said yes I'd be off again as they reckon you remain PCR +ve as well for over a month.

We have done a couple of hundred tests, mainly staff. All have been negative and no voids. It's been interesting working with members of staff I don't normally see.

I'm only 'nipping in' now and then and got caught for a test last Monday.
The person who took the details had a plastic apron, no mask, shield or gloves. The person who handed me the swab had a mask and gloves. The test made me sneeze and cough, luckily into a tissue. The swab was then just dropped into an open bin.
So, if I was positive, (which I wasn't) they would have Covid in the air and in the bin, which wasn't covered.
I've distanced myself from it all, as I was met with 'we've been trained, you haven't.'

The person who took the details had a plastic apron, no mask, shield or gloves. The person who handed me the swab had a mask and gloves. The test made me sneeze and cough, luckily into a tissue. The swab was then just dropped into an open bin.
So, if I was positive, (which I wasn't) they would have Covid in the air and in the bin, which wasn't covered.
I've distanced myself from it all, as I was met with 'we've been trained, you haven't.'
I always even flush used tisues etc down loo or bag them at work if I have a normal cold as I don't want to risk passing it on! Let alone from this.
Maybe my paranoia come from many, many years living with Parents & brother with severe COPD.

Then they haven't done the training properly.

1611139751266.png

That's v true too! Have you seen news today about halting the daily testing?
I think that was always going to happen once the MHRA said it wasn't allowed, you can't do trials in all schools.

the part they are on about stopping I believe is using this test in place of isolation, for close contacts of a confirmed positive case as the test was never approved for this. (someone on work experience just said it would be fine presumably)

I think they are still on about continuing weekly optional staff tests and the whole cohort test when/if they return.

it wouldn't surprise me if they add on some random sampling of cohorts periodically to justify us all setting this up

I think the whole cohort changed to weekly as well at some point but he (Gav) seems to say different things every day.

ajmc98

Don't lick, smell or touch it and you won't die.
Has anyone who has had covid (confirmed by PCR) given the test a go? In theory it should be positive.
I was isolating after a +ve PCR test on the 5th, I'm starting my first shift playing med lab technician tomorrow, but yesterday they asked if I wanted to take a test when if I said yes I'd be off again as they reckon you remain PCR +ve as well for over a month.
I tested +ve via PCR on the 7th, isolated for 10 and had a flow test on Monday and it came back -ve, whether that's due to my swab technique or it was actually -ve I don't know, I think the virus can remain in your system for around 30 days but you're not contagious after 10 hence the isolation period.

I tested +ve via PCR on the 7th, isolated for 10 and had a flow test on Monday and it came back -ve, whether that's due to my swab technique or it was actually -ve I don't know, I think the virus can remain in your system for around 30 days but you're not contagious after 10 hence the isolation period.
PCR will detect fragments of rna when you you recover whereas the lateral flow test will not detect anyone who isn't infectious as it's an antigen test, presumably the antigens have antibodies on them already when you recover.

That's v true too! Have you seen news today about halting the daily testing?
Yes but want staff to do twice weekly testing - for their reassurance and to stop the spread, apparently. I would rather everyone in school is done once a week - pupils included - and more people take part.
We have started the kids today and they were great - no messing about and really trying to do it correctly. Also these kids have gone back to the classroom and said it was ok so we have some more say they will do it next session now.
Just had one person test positive - twice. they had test last week then thier PCR was negative but tested positive again this morning with the rapid test. I am wondering, if their PCR is negative again, if this suggests they have recently had covid but been symptomless - as the RFT tests for antigens.

We've done over 100 tests on staff over the last couple of weeks but no +ve results. This worries me in a way as I have no idea if we are doing it right or just doing it consistently wrong. Not tested a student as yet as still no consent forms sent out. Hey ho

I was isolating after a +ve PCR test on the 5th, I'm starting my first shift playing med lab technician tomorrow, but yesterday they asked if I wanted to take a test when if I said yes I'd be off again as they reckon you remain PCR +ve as well for over

Glad to see someone else "nipping in now & then", looking on here I started to feel like we are the only techs doing that!
Our rooms are clean & tidy. Everything sorted. Labs stocked, stock & records up to date & so on. I feel a little guilty not being in, but I went in last week & was just faffing about trying to find work!
Techs aren't taking part in testing for various reasons, including childcare & shielding. We offered to help with admin, reception etc & don't seem to be needed.
Ah well. There must be more like us surely?

Reactions: kaj
Our rooms are clean & tidy. Everything sorted. Labs stocked, stock & records up to date & so on. I feel a little guilty not being in, but I went in last week & was just faffing about trying to find work!
I'm in but scrabbling around trying to find useful things to do - mainly binning things that "might be useful" but haven't been needed for over 3 years. My labs are tidy and all lab checks done. Last lock down was very productive - I did the stock check, ordering, checked all chemicals were stored correctly and relabelled with up-to-date haz symbol, prac sheets were updated, trialled temperamental pracs, did loads of FutureLearn courses, CLEAPSS H&S course, online conferences etc...but SLT have decreed that all support staff must be in, so here I am! I have been called on for one shift of testing and that's it. I'm using the time for an online language course!

I'm in but scrabbling around trying to find useful things to do - mainly binning things that "might be useful" but haven't been needed for over 3 years. My labs are tidy and all lab checks done. Last lock down was very productive - I did the stock check, ordering, checked all chemicals were stored correctly and relabelled with up-to-date haz symbol, prac sheets were updated, trialled temperamental pracs, did loads of FutureLearn courses, CLEAPSS H&S course, online conferences etc...but SLT have decreed that all support staff must be in, so here I am! I have been called on for one shift of testing and that's it. I'm using the time for an online language course!
Crazy isn't it? Don't think it's what gov & advisors had in mind, close schools but keep all staff in.
Our SLT haven't really given clear guidance. Just hints.

Glad to see someone else "nipping in now & then", looking on here I started to feel like we are the only techs doing that!
Techs aren't taking part in testing for various reasons, including childcare & shielding. We offered to help with admin, reception etc & don't seem to be needed.
Ah well. There must be more like us surely?
Labs now sorted, chemical inventory done, equipment one on the way. I can still find things to do, thankfully. Not supervising the students, I declined politely. Caretaker has removed lots of rubbish, I finally got to sort Physics out! Store cupboards - all the tins, bottles, things that may be needed next.

I am back at work . 2 weeks off having tested positive and then a Pos. PCR test 2 days later. No symptoms but at least it stopped me spreading.