testing in schools

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
We have a mix of SLT, non classroom support staff, and parent volunteers. It sounded very organised (I'm off sick anyway but read the emails)

Obviously it has remained fluid as the DfE has changed everything several times, sometimes more than once a day. It also relies on all the tests and other gear turning up when promised.

Have you seen their latest that from January they will have delivered 1,000,000 laptops? They weren't terribly clear about when in January. (or even which January)

Am I right in thinking students will only be tested on their return to school (2 tests 3 days apart) unless they are knowingly in contact with an infected person? If so how will this testing help. Any student could unknowingly be in contact with an asymptomatic carrier at any time over the course of the term. Also, being voluntary, there could be staff or students on site that have not been tested.
I may well have got the wrong end of the stick but, if not, this could turn out to be ineffective past the first couple of weeks.
I hope I have misunderstood how this will work, as a country we need the transmission within schools to fall dramatically.

Am I right in thinking students will only be tested on their return to school (2 tests 3 days apart) unless they are knowingly in contact with an infected person? If so how will this testing help. Any student could unknowingly be in contact with an asymptomatic carrier at any time over the course of the term. Also, being voluntary, there could be staff or students on site that have not been tested.
I may well have got the wrong end of the stick but, if not, this could turn out to be ineffective past the first couple of weeks.
I hope I have misunderstood how this will work, as a country we need the transmission within schools to fall dramatically.
Hi Hands Solo the proposed idea is that students are tested on coming back to school and then retested 3 days later. They will then be tested weekly, unless they are deemed to be a close contact in which they then have the option to self isolate or agree to be tested daily and remain in school . The object is to find the asymptomatic people and stop the transmission this way. If you have a look on www.gov.Uk there is guidance on mass asymptomatic testing : schools and colleges which gives out a whole lot of resources including a testing handbook which explains the whole process in detail . I do hope this helps .

Hi Hands Solo the proposed idea is that students are tested on coming back to school and then retested 3 days later. They will then be tested weekly, unless they are deemed to be a close contact in which they then have the option to self isolate or agree to be tested daily and remain in school . The object is to find the asymptomatic people and stop the transmission this way. If you have a look on www.gov.Uk there is guidance on mass asymptomatic testing : schools and colleges which gives out a whole lot of resources including a testing handbook which explains the whole process in detail . I do hope this helps .
Thank you Janine.

I'd read a couple of things that seemed to point to it being the one off testing (2 tests 3 days apart) or if in close contact, but hadn't seen about the weekly testing for students, I'd only read that staff would be tested weekly. It makes a lot more sense for there to be weekly testing across the whole school.

Thank you Janine.

I'd read a couple of things that seemed to point to it being the one off testing (2 tests 3 days apart) or if in close contact, but hadn't seen about the weekly testing for students, I'd only read that staff would be tested weekly. It makes a lot more sense for there to be weekly testing across the whole school.
That was the U turn on Friday morning.

I watched the NHS one where they do their own tests, it's the procedures to get to 100+ tests an hour I wonder about, most other staff are not trained in lab work which this really is when it comes to it.

We’ve been asked to ‘volunteer’, I’m really not happy, we try to avoid the students as much as possible! We’re in a tier 4 area with almost 600/100,000. I’m also concerned that if they have a negative test, with lateral flow which isn’t that effective at the start of an infection, that all the other measures will be ignored. The lockdown in November had zero impact in Kent, the schools really need to shut to get this back under control IMHO.

Dunno about your areas.....but here, many of our parents absolutely need to go out to work for their (usually minimum) wage. Which of these is going to give permission to have their child tested if they are in danger of having to isolate (without the luxury of furlough pay). And a parent MUST give permission to have their child tested. Nor can a school refuse entry to a pupil where permission has not been granted (unless Govt have changed that quietly !!)

Not sure this has been thought through properly.......though that's not a surprise either !!

Feels like such a waste of time honestly given the following:
1 - Being voluntary essentially means that the entire thing is useless because if little Timmy doesn't like being tested but gets Covid, all his classmates are STILL at risk even if everyone else HAS been tested.

2 - Its been shown time and time again that using a negative test to prove you are safe is rediculous because, as others have said above, some of the tests give false negatives in a range of scenarios and also the fact that it only proves you were negative when the test was taken. You could still become infected between the time you were tested and the time you receive your result.

The only way to make this work would be to have a test that could get results quickly, within 20 minutes for example. That way, you could test every student and staff member on their way into school. Arrive at school, get your swap, wait outside for 20 minutes, if its positive, arrange collection, if its negative, allow them in.

The even BETTER idea though would be to have students and school workers higher up the vaccine list.

I understand that nursing homes were a large source of transmission in the early stages of this infection but honestly its the schools leading the charge infectionwise now. Surely having all kids vaccinated would stop them spreading it so much between eachother and their families??

This whole mass testing idea is just a grand scale waste of time and equipment in my view, it would be better trying to scale up vaccinations instead of rolling out testing to every person :/

Feels like such a waste of time honestly given the following:
1 - Being voluntary essentially means that the entire thing is useless because if little Timmy doesn't like being tested but gets Covid, all his classmates are STILL at risk even if everyone else HAS been tested.

2 - Its been shown time and time again that using a negative test to prove you are safe is rediculous because, as others have said above, some of the tests give false negatives in a range of scenarios and also the fact that it only proves you were negative when the test was taken. You could still become infected between the time you were tested and the time you receive your result.

The only way to make this work would be to have a test that could get results quickly, within 20 minutes for example. That way, you could test every student and staff member on their way into school. Arrive at school, get your swap, wait outside for 20 minutes, if its positive, arrange collection, if its negative, allow them in.

The even BETTER idea though would be to have students and school workers higher up the vaccine list.

I understand that nursing homes were a large source of transmission in the early stages of this infection but honestly its the schools leading the charge infectionwise now. Surely having all kids vaccinated would stop them spreading it so much between eachother and their families??

This whole mass testing idea is just a grand scale waste of time and equipment in my view, it would be better trying to scale up vaccinations instead of rolling out testing to every person :/
The army came into my school just before Christmas to test Year 11 and staff. I received my results approximately 30 minutes after the test.

An email has come out to all support staff this morning. Training session tomorrow and first "live" tests on Wednesday. We currently have no students in school (learning at home) but Y11 and Y13 are expected back on the 11th and the rest of the school on the 18th.
I would refuse to attend training as you are putting yourself at risk. The school is getting extra money to carry out these tests. Therefore they should pay support staff extra if they want to volunteer. Its voluntary so you do not have to do it.

The army came into my school just before Christmas to test Year 11 and staff. I received my results approximately 30 minutes after the test.
Just one test and you clear, right ?? How do you know you are STILL 'clear'. And that's the point - with a test that is, at best, 48% correct (positive and negative), everyone needs to be tested 3 times a week to isolate all the true positives. And the lateral flow test works ONLY when the viral load is above a minimum threshold, so you can test negative on day one and day three, but positive on day 5. And even then, there is a 50/50 chance of getting it wrong.

It's all a complete shambles......

Just one test and you clear, right ?? How do you know you are STILL 'clear'. And that's the point - with a test that is, at best, 48% correct (positive and negative), everyone needs to be tested 3 times a week to isolate all the true positives. And the lateral flow test works ONLY when the viral load is above a minimum threshold, so you can test negative on day one and day three, but positive on day 5. And even then, there is a 50/50 chance of getting it wrong.

It's all a complete shambles......
I think the scheme is likely to end in tears in the short term & am not comfortable with getting involved at all so am hoping that the SLT in my school will be ok with me opting out. I'm also concerned that it's a step on the road to immunity passports, which is not a world I would like to see.