Telephone in Prep Room

karen b

COMMITTEE
You definitely need it. How else are reception going to get you to go and ask Emily in Mr so and so's class that she has a dentist appt and needs to be down in reception? Several times a day sometimes! Or "can you ask Mr so and so that he needs to do his register"!!

I was going to post something very similar. To be fair we had an upgrade last year and phones went in all the labs, but if a teacher is mid sentence then they won’t answer them.

Also as part of the upgrade our outside line was taken out as they didn’t realise we needed it! Soon put IT right on that point.

a cost/benefit analysis of you being able to contact the right people immediately versus having a walkie-talkie conversation with someone and trying to explain what you need to a non-scientist/someone who cannot see the casualty in front of them.
Depends how much bad publicity they think they can handle if something ever goes wrong and the local headline is about their technicians' room not having a phone!

a cost/benefit analysis of you being able to contact the right people immediately versus having a walkie-talkie conversation with someone and trying to explain what you need to a non-scientist/someone who cannot see the casualty in front of them.
Depends how much bad publicity they think they can handle if something ever goes wrong and the local headline is about their technicians' room not having a phone!
we had walkie talkies one, just got minicabs and building site chat all the time.

they should look at voip phones, they can use the computer cabling and internal calls are free.

A mobile would be no good as there isn't any phone reception in the downstairs prep room, which is where the chemical store is. Another argument I am putting forward.
I was being snarky a mobile for one person that will likely break fairly often would cost them a lot more than 2 landlines in suitable locations

I don't disagree. Ventilation and a proper sink are also on my list that I harp on about. Thank goodness its's a dull day so it's only 25C in my room.
Same here. Our sink is running alive, is way too deep (gives me back ache) and it gets so hot in the preproom. Not a good time to be wearing a white coat indoors! I've been asking for a new sink for the past 12 years.

We wish we didn't have a telephone in the prep room. Ringing constantly with requests for us to drop everything and go and take messages to kids in classrooms, (11 classrooms, up and downstairs) It is expected of us. Been a bit easier in covid because we have a good reason not to cross bubbles into classrooms with pupils.

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
We wish we didn't have a telephone in the prep room. Ringing constantly with requests for us to drop everything and go and take messages to kids in classrooms, (11 classrooms, up and downstairs) It is expected of us. Been a bit easier in covid because we have a good reason not to cross bubbles into classrooms with pupils.
Do what we did
Ask them how they'd manage to run messages to subjects which don't have a handy technician to answer the phone

The tell them to do that from now on as you won't be doing it anymore unless it is an absolute emergency

Do what we did
Ask them how they'd manage to run messages to subjects which don't have a handy technician to answer the phone

The tell them to do that from now on as you won't be doing it anymore unless it is an absolute emergency
Yes, easier said than done! It has been going on for years before I worked here.

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
As part of Covid safety with less face to face the phone became one of the main ways of our techs communicating with each other. It also stopped others coming in to use my phone!

The school couldn't function without the phone in the prep rooms, who else will do all the running around to find students, call SLT when one of the kids kicks off.

Seriously though you do need one for emergencies, sorting out suppliers etc.

Can't see a benefit of removing one if you already have it.

Who is ringing, SLT or reception? Just don't answer it.
Our phone system is so antiquated you don't know until you pick up and hear a voice.

T.b.f. we don't get a huge number of calls form reception, the most annoying ones are to find a pupil for an appointment and the person has either forgotten it's Period 2 rather than Period 1 (for example) or which week it is (we have a 2-week rotating timetable).

Some pupils have medical or safeguarding issues so we can't not answer it