Technician interview - advice please

Carol Taylor

Footsore
'

Oh I am sooooooooooooooooo jealous ( in a nice way) of you:D. I am gonna do another year and couple of months and then I am done!
Husband is retiring in August (he'll be 66) but with holidays to take he finishes in July. He asked me I wanted to retire at the same time...…..I bit his hand off. That's not to say I won't take another job somewhere if I fancy but it won't be in a school.

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE
Husband is retiring in August (he'll be 66) but with holidays to take he finishes in July. He asked me I wanted to retire at the same time...…..I bit his hand off. That's not to say I won't take another job somewhere if I fancy but it won't be in a school.
I think that I will look for something part time over the summer holidays this year. I definitely won't look for anything school related though, after almost 17 years here, I am "schooled out" :rolleyes:

Envy radiating from here! It's difficult to retire as a singleton, pension not great but our council tax etc still the same :(

We have a teacher, not science, who said to a former colleague that all we did was "photocopy and supply scissors"!
Shows how rest of school view what we do.
Can add lugging text books to that due to covid and bubbles.
Technicians life is a challenging one.
Cann`t afford to retire until 67, another 4 years. :(

We have a teacher, not science, who said to a former colleague that all we did was "photocopy and supply scissors"!
Shows how rest of school view what we do.
Can add lugging text books to that due to covid and bubbles.
Technicians life is a challenging one.
Cann`t afford to retire until 67, another 4 years. :(

If anything it shows the kind of person that teacher is.

If I were to be equally rude and clueless I would say: those who can, do; those who can't, teach :p

Carol Taylor

Footsore
Envy radiating from here! It's difficult to retire as a singleton, pension not great but our council tax etc still the same :(
Yes it must be. I taught for a while before becoming a technician so I have that pension too. By the time I get my State pension it will all add up to what I'm on now I think.

One bit of advice. If you mess up don't panic. I had a chemist apply for a job with my old school (I as the senior)
They messed this same task up and added too much water to the volumetric. Clearly nervous as hell, was so careful and at the last bit just seemed to get the shakes and add in too much. Asked if I preferred if they started again, make a much larger volume or offered to attempt to salvage it all with a graduated pipette and some calculations to work out how far they had gone over and correct it!
We were so impressed by the honesty and then the different methods to save the day.
An honest problem solver. What more could you ask for?

One bit of advice. If you mess up don't panic. I had a chemist apply for a job with my old school (I as the senior)
They messed this same task up and added too much water to the volumetric. Clearly nervous as hell, was so careful and at the last bit just seemed to get the shakes and add in too much. Asked if I preferred if they started again, make a much larger volume or offered to attempt to salvage it all with a graduated pipette and some calculations to work out how far they had gone over and correct it!
We were so impressed by the honesty and then the different methods to save the day.
An honest problem solver. What more could you ask for?
One of my techs started making a copper sulphate solution into the measuring cylinder. Did everything else right but was nervous as hell