Teachers helping themselves to equipment

how does any one feel about teachers getting equipment out of prep rooms themselves without requesting it and saying they will put it back - def not in covid times but when things are normal!!

As I'm a P/T lone tech it happens, I don't like it but hey-ho.
Under the circumstances at the moment it really needs to stop, for all kinds of reasons. I've got my work cut out for me if I hope to have a 'new normal'. If only I could get all the teachers of Science in the same room at the same time I might be able to sort it out.
You know what, tomorrow is my Friday and this will have to wait. I have gloves, alcohol free sanitiser and masks to track down. Wish me luck, it's a thankless task that's already used up far too much of my time.

honestly my biggest pet peeve in pre-covid times haha.

Especially because its unfair on the staff who actually do ask for stuff. 'oh sorry i cant give you the equipment you requested even though you gave plenty of time because some ££$%^&$£ has already lifted it' :p

I put an overdue request in for them on LabLogger so it is flagged up in red for HOD, who monitors to check that they are preparing their lessons correctly and timely. Need to do it before the lesson ends though (or back date computer clock temporarily to allow input).
1600322747765.png
Name and shame soon stops it as everyone in the dept can see this.

I'm well used to teachers arriving just before a lesson or even 10mins in, and asking for equipment... Not normally a problem, but I object strongly (and vocally) to helping yourself. Our Physics staff pretty much teach in the same labs all the time (just a few changes due to class sizes) so equipment that is not put out by myself tends to stay on their bench (miraculously moving back to the center) until they grovel.
I once even moved equipment to a teachers office desk to make the point.
Fortunately I have a very good relationship with all the teachers.

Generally my teaching staff are very considerate, and if they need to take something, will usually arrange to come and grab it ahead of time, or leave me a post-it. Honestly in Pre-Covid times it actually helps me, as I'm not particularly fast moving on account of my bad back and being a solo technician. What I absolutely cannot abide is late requests after the cut-off date. Certain ones used to 'extract the absolute urine' and make full prac requests half an hour before a lesson was due to start. I try to be flexible for them but I just had to put my foot down. My policy now is, if it's not in on time, but you can grab it yourself, help yourself. If it requires anything more from me, there's always next week!

I don't use lablogger yet, but my HOD and I have discussed a move to it. I've gotten used to using my own sheet in excel and I'm not sure I'm ready to make the jump.

Generally my teaching staff are very considerate, and if they need to take something, will usually arrange to come and grab it ahead of time, or leave me a post-it. Honestly in Pre-Covid times it actually helps me, as I'm not particularly fast moving on account of my bad back and being a solo technician. What I absolutely cannot abide is late requests after the cut-off date. Certain ones used to 'extract the absolute urine' and make full prac requests half an hour before a lesson was due to start. I try to be flexible for them but I just had to put my foot down. My policy now is, if it's not in on time, but you can grab it yourself, help yourself. If it requires anything more from me, there's always next week!

I don't use lablogger yet, but my HOD and I have discussed a move to it. I've gotten used to using my own sheet in excel and I'm not sure I'm ready to make the jump.
@Peter Dale Join this group
There is lots of help there to get up and running easily -

Anybody know how to use a really useful thing made to LOCK doors, - I do and it seems to stop all and sundry helping themselves

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE
how does any one feel about teachers getting equipment out of prep rooms themselves without requesting it and saying they will put it back - def not in covid times but when things are normal!!
It makes me feel very angry, it happens all of the time despite me blowing my tolerance gasket. I have asked them to leave a note with details of what they have taken. Mr Biology helped himself to my IMS spray one time - a H & S hazard and he left it on his desk overnight. So, I helped myself to his laptop and held it hostage in my prep room - he sh@t himself when he discovered it had gone - he though it had been stolen :laughing:. I had to tell him I had it, as he was running off to IT complete with a roll of bog paper for his suddenly loose bowels. … he does not help himself anymore.

It makes me feel very angry, it happens all of the time despite me blowing my tolerance gasket. I have asked them to leave a note with details of what they have taken. Mr Biology helped himself to my IMS spray one time - a H & S hazard and he left it on his desk overnight. So, I helped myself to his laptop and held it hostage in my prep room - he sh@t himself when he discovered it had gone - he though it had been stolen :laughing:. I had to tell him I had it, as he was running off to IT complete with a roll of bog paper for his suddenly loose bowels. … he does not help himself anymore.
Nice one Julie, must do that myself next time :vampire:

haha I might try this approach!