Teacher Ordering system

Hi all.. I am looking for teacher ordering system to science technicians in the schools. Can anyone share details on the authentic softwares or templates where teachers can fill in and target it to techs? In my experience, we used to use google forms but there is a limitation. It needs to be filled in for every period/requests and repeated filling of similar fields. Hit response to this thread and leave your suggestions. thank you in advance.. :)

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
We use a word template that teachers complete and email to all three techs. Each tech then makes up a master on one note for their subject. One tech puts the teachers requests up on onenote too for reference. Orders are supposed to be in by Thursday lunch, some are usually several days before that, a couple regularly late.

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
Hi all.. I am looking for teacher ordering system to science technicians in the schools. Can anyone share details on the authentic softwares or templates where teachers can fill in and target it to techs? In my experience, we used to use google forms but there is a limitation. It needs to be filled in for every period/requests and repeated filling of similar fields. Hit response to this thread and leave your suggestions. thank you in advance.. :)
@scienceenthusiast

LabLogger. Join this user group and have a look to see what the software is like, how popular it is and whether the users think it is any good or not plus loads of tips and tricks etc. - https://community.preproom.org/index.php?groups/lablogger-user-group.37/

paul r

COMMITTEE
Seconded Peter , Lablogger . It does everything, bit of work front end, but the results are worth it . Everyday I use it I discover more benefits

Last edited:
We use a spreadsheet system. Staff have their own sheet with their timetable on and each week, they clear and fill in practical requests for the coming week. They save the sheet and the data is imported to a master spreadsheet which us techs use to plan the week.
(Benefits: free, personaliseable, simple for staff.
Drawbacks: takes time to set up and there may be teething problems, you should be competent with Excel)

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
We use a spreadsheet system. Staff have their own sheet with their timetable on and each week, they clear and fill in practical requests for the coming week. They save the sheet and the data is imported to a master spreadsheet which us techs use to plan the week.
(Benefits: free, personaliseable, simple for staff.
Drawbacks: takes time to set up and there may be teething problems, you should be competent with Excel)
LabLogger is cheaper than free because the time saved by staff using it over the other systems far outweighs the subscription to LabLogger.
The paid time teachers waste typing/writing out requests can be used for other paid work and if you add it all up - massive saving, far more than the cost of LabLogger.
Once set up - to post a request, all you do is start typing the experiment name then about three clicks of a mouse and that is it. Really it is! No lists to write, no RAs to write, not dates/time or location to write, no class/set/group to write no documents to attach or links to insert no tech guides to search for by you.
1604911470258.png

Last edited:

becksc123

Becky
If the teachers are wanting to book/order for an experiment, they will create a meeting via there emails and let me know what all they need. It then appears on my calendar and also, if they haven't given me enough notice, etc I am able to decline it

We have used lablogger at both my current and previous schools. It has a few limitations but for £99 PA great value and they are adding new functions all the time

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
We have used lablogger at both my current and previous schools. It has a few limitations but for £99 PA great value and they are adding new functions all the time
@JPK I would be interested to hear what limitations it has, because I haven't come across any in terms of managing requisitions which it is designed for.

There is only 1 stock list. I would like a separate list for chemicals. this can include all the cleapss SS data. The other one could then include PAT testing breakages etc. Our science dep is split over 2 sites. It would be nice to be able to list them separately without having to pay for 2 subscriptions. However for £99 PA it is very good.

I just separate items like that between different stock groups (can be done under stock list management). Then you can search for specific stock groups such as chemicals or electrical items on the same stock list...

As with users on here we use LabLogger and have had it for just over a year now, it really is a fantastic system.

Just this morning we have had a leaflet through for software called Show My Reqs, not sure if its new but it claims to be free, gives teaching staff a way to order and displays this in a way technicians can work from it. I'm not sure of the ins and outs but would have given it a go if we weren't on LabLogger.

www.showmyreqs.com

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
As with users on here we use LabLogger and have had it for just over a year now, it really is a fantastic system.

Just this morning we have had a leaflet through for software called Show My Reqs, not sure if its new but it claims to be free, gives teaching staff a way to order and displays this in a way technicians can work from it. I'm not sure of the ins and outs but would have given it a go if we weren't on LabLogger.

www.showmyreqs.com
I'm aware and I have signed up on this to have a look - pretty basic with nothing like the functionality of Lablogger - but hey it's free. Can't link to timetables so location, time date and group has to be entered each time. It does handle templates no stock or linking to stock to stop clashes

I'm aware and I have signed up on this to have a look - pretty basic with nothing like the functionality of Lablogger - but hey it's free. Can't link to timetables so location, time date and group has to be entered each time. It does handle templates no stock or linking to stock to stop clashes

But surely there must be a market for places that are unwilling to pay for LabLogger, I'd have jumped at this in my old place as as it's more user friendly than a google doc going out to staff every week.

It really depends on needs etc.

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
But surely there must be a market for places that are unwilling to pay for LabLogger, I'd have jumped at this in my old place as as it's more user friendly than a google doc going out to staff every week.

It really depends on needs etc.
Yes www.showmyreqs.com is one example and free so if you don't want to pay, fill your boots - the old adage you get what you pay for

Yes www.showmyreqs.com is one example and free so if you don't want to pay, fill your boots - the old adage you get what you pay for

Oh totally, I'd also encourage folks to give LabLogger a go, £99 per year really isn't that expensive in the grand scheme of things but I know how much of a brick wall some techs can run in to.

Any competition for LabLogger is surely a good thing, I'd like to think we could benefit from others in the field pushing LabLogger, even if at the moment they're not that great.

I'd love to see an App for LabLogger for example as it's not to great on a mobile browser but more and more staff are accessing it via mobiles / tablets.

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
Oh totally, I'd also encourage folks to give LabLogger a go, £99 per year really isn't that expensive in the grand scheme of things but I know how much of a brick wall some techs can run in to.

Any competition for LabLogger is surely a good thing, I'd like to think we could benefit from others in the field pushing LabLogger, even if at the moment they're not that great.

I'd love to see an App for LabLogger for example as it's not to great on a mobile browser but more and more staff are accessing it via mobiles / tablets.
Watch this space as I know they are working on a mobile version which is very exciting