Tadpoles!

So, my HOD kindly got me some pondweed from the pond in her mothers garden at the weekend. I have opened the tub today and there is a fair few tadpoles in there (amongst some other critters)!!

What should I do with them? They won't be able to go back to the pond they came from until the weekend and we don't have a pond in school (we do have an empty fish tank, but I guess this might be unsuitable?)

HOD should have though this through before bringing them into school! Keep them in a bucket outside in semi shade (I used to grow them with my boys like this when they were little - so, so long ago) with the pondweed and release them into their natural environment as soon as possible.

Nick Mitchener

COMMITTEE
We do have a pond, but we bring up a batch of tadpoles each year in a plastic tank on a windowsill before releasing back into the pond they came from. We return them when they have legs

Have something that looks leech-y and other critters :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 20170426_100748.jpg
    20170426_100748.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 22
  • 20170426_100808.jpg
    20170426_100808.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 22
We do have a pond, but we bring up a batch of tadpoles each year in a plastic tank on a windowsill before releasing back into the pond they came from. We return them when they have legs
If I decide to keep them and put them back once they have legs, is there anything special I need to know/do? Do I just keep some of the pondweed in the tank with them to feed on?

I think that's a flatworm and the other is a larva - probably caddisfly.
The tadpoles will eat algae in the water so leave some pondweed for shelter, and the other pondlife too, as this helps keep the pond environment similar to their natural environment.

We kept tadpoles in a tank one year and managed to get them to the froglet stage before releasing them. We fed them flake fish food.