AQA exam Board Suitable filter paper for Chromatography

Almost all of our chromatography is felt tip pens, we've exhausted our supply of chromatography paperbut really don't want to spend a fortune on more. Any suggestions? Does blotting paper work? And extra bonus points if it's not circular as we cut into rectangles to fit in 250ml beakers!

Its probably not what you want to hear, but for A-level (grass) chromatography we just use TLC plates now as we get much better results and the students can read off meaningful rf values. They are pretty eyewateringly expensive, but you might find and old pack kicking around in the back of a cupboard, or if you have to buy them they can be cut down small to fit in a specimen bottle which makes them more economical.

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
Would grade 322 qualitative filter paper be suffice?

It is for an A level practical on leaf pigments
I'm not sure about A level but large diameter filter paper works well (240-270mm can be cut up into strips suitable for 500ml beakers easily)
Here is an example - fine for Junior and even GCSE and very cheap
1633078445472.png

labsleuth

COMMITTEE
Its probably not what you want to hear, but for A-level (grass) chromatography we just use TLC plates now as we get much better results and the students can read off meaningful rf values. They are pretty eyewateringly expensive, but you might find and old pack kicking around in the back of a cupboard, or if you have to buy them they can be cut down small to fit in a specimen bottle which makes them more economical.
Same here. The results are much clearer. Worth the expense if you have the budget.

Ivy Photosynthesis Chromatogrpahy.png

We use the TLC plates, but cut them down to fit into bijou bottles (so about 1cm x 6cm I think?). I get loads out of a single TLC plate, and because we do this microscale (i.e. in the bijou bottles) we use 1-2ml solvent per student, in the sealed bottle, so no need for fume hoods etc. We get results much as pictured by Labsleuth above, with most of our GCSE kids, which they love. So far, I'm about 10% of the way through a £50 box of plates, and we've been doing this practical with 5 or 6 classes a year for several years now, so it isn't as dire a cost as we first expected. I think it's one of Bob Worley's methods?

For felt pen chromatography we just use this and cut to length to fit in 250ml beakers. doesn't take too long with a guillotine.
A level and btec tend to use TLC plates.