Successful technician–teacher relationships

The ASE have published a report on technician supply and the crisis facing schools:

"Clearly, there need to be some policy, organisational and budgetary changes, at a government and school level, to influence the squeeze on school resources. Organisations such as the ASE are addressing this. However, there are things teachers and technicians can do to weather the crisis. Katherine Forsey, in collaboration with a team of technicians and teachers, has come up with suggested strategies to ensure a successful technician–teacher relationship."

What are your suggestions to foster a successful technician–teacher relationship?

PhysicsSimon

COMMITTEE
Talk to each other - both professionally & socially, if you're not part of the same team (with a genuine teamwork ethos) then someone isn't doing things right IMO. As a teacher I experienced both brilliant & pathetic service from technicians (different schools) which has coloured my views as a technician somewhat. I'd advise any new'ish technician to go out of their way after a practical lesson to ask the teacher how it went - shows you care about it & if it didn't go too well then you can try to work out how to make it better next time. Obviously the teacher absolutely has to treat their technicians with respect & do things properly from their end but I'm just thinking about it from a techy angle

Something positive to come from this. In 27 years I have seen many surveys, statements, promises etc. None have change anything in job. Many technicians have left/retired disappointed that the system can't or won't change. As the survey points out many candidates are unsuitable or will not work the hours for money offered. I can remember writing to M.Ps. both British and Scottish and achieving nothing.
Now I will probably be demoted in the name of "flexibility" but be expected to maintain everything as before.
I won't be bothered as I will not be trying to take up the slack. The real people to suffer will be the teachers and sadly and ultimately the pupils.
What was once a good job with great variation and career prospects is now all but gone.
What this job will entail in a few years more of austerity cuts doesn't bare thinking about.

Shannon

Shannon
COMMITTEE
Don't order things if you know you wont use it.

Don't moan at us, we go as fast as our bodies can cope with.

Everything isn't our fault.

Cannot help if outside orders have not arrived in time.

Keep us happy... upset or grumpy us isn't fun.
HAND SHEETS ON TIME

WE ARE HUMANS TOO

Better pay! As we are payed so little, we are treated within the school like second class citizens.
As a Senior Tech, I'm not payed much more than a tech as their wages have risen due to the living wage being introduced but mine has stayed the same.

Don't assume that I know nothing when I have the same degree as 4 of the members of teaching staff.
Don't assume I know everything about every practical across the 3 subject areas.
Give us better pay for the knowledge we have. The teachers earn double than me in some cases yet I have to explain to the how to set up a circuit for example, I'm no more a physicist than they are.

Don't come to me to complain about YOUR pay increase... because guess who didn't get one?
Very much this, our pay policy came out for this year. Looks like all teachers are getting a pay rise (either 1 or 2%) can't see anywhere saying the same for support staff :confused:

COMMITTEE
Doubt it, but when I make my way to the dark side I will stay reading things on here :D
I work for both sides so yes there are some teachers reading this :D

Other than the usual things that have been repeatedly asked for over the years, like better working conditions, better pay, pay increase (I asked our Head about it a few years ago, the brief reply was there is no flexibility in the budget to give support staff a pay rise or performance related enhancement to pay), the best thing to immediately help us would be:

For teachers to spend a week as a technician - then we would have increased respect, more equipment would be returned as provided, reqs would arrive on time - and the job would be made easier ;)

Don't assume that I know nothing when I have the same degree as 4 of the members of teaching staff.
So true. I don't have the exact same degree but I probably have the same degree class or better. I hate to be patronized. Luckily all the staff treat me with respect, 1 of the Biology teachers taught me so that helps :p. I only mention this as one of the teachers in the school next door was in school with me, in the same science set as me and he still looks down his nose at me!
To answer the question I think feeling part of the team helps, and talking to each other and being polite.

paul r

COMMITTEE
Talk to each other - both professionally & socially, if you're not part of the same team (with a genuine teamwork ethos) then someone isn't doing things right IMO. As a teacher I experienced both brilliant & pathetic service from technicians (different schools) which has coloured my views as a technician somewhat. I'd advise any new'ish technician to go out of their way after a practical lesson to ask the teacher how it went - shows you care about it & if it didn't go too well then you can try to work out how to make it better next time. Obviously the teacher absolutely has to treat their technicians with respect & do things properly from their end but I'm just thinking about it from a techy angle
It is a good idea to request feedback regarding practicals. I have worked in schools where I have had time to do this but I am finding we are just about getting the time to get the practicals ready and there is little time to discuss issues with the teachers which is sad.

Maybe a feedback form ? However in my school cannot see this happening!

Don't order things if you know you wont use it.

Don't moan at us, we go as fast as our bodies can cope with.

Everything isn't our fault.

Cannot help if outside orders have not arrived in time.

Keep us happy... upset or grumpy us isn't fun.
HAND SHEETS ON TIME

WE ARE HUMANS TOO
that exactly what I would have said