Substitute for Malt Extract Agar

Peter Sigsworth

COMMITTEE
We gow yeast lawns on malt extract agar for the edexcel 'clean hands practical' CB5e.1

Malt extract agar is more than three times the price of plain agar. Is there any reason why we couldn't just make up agar plates with ordinary table sugar instead of the malt. Yeast grows quite well in water and sugar so it should do just and well on agar and sugar, shouldn't it? Before I try it has anyone tried this?

I make malt extract agar by putting 15g malt extract (I use liquid malt extract I purchased in Holland and Barrat) per litre into nutrient agar. Grows yeast beautifully.

I make malt extract agar by putting 15g malt extract (I use liquid malt extract I purchased in Holland and Barrat) per litre into nutrient agar. Grows yeast beautifully.
We gow yeast lawns on malt extract agar for the edexcel 'clean hands practical' CB5e.1

Malt extract agar is more than three times the price of plain agar. Is there any reason why we couldn't just make up agar plates with ordinary table sugar instead of the malt. Yeast grows quite well in water and sugar so it should do just and well on agar and sugar, shouldn't it? Before I try it has anyone tried this?
You'd get better growth if you added a spoonful of Marmite to your homemade Malt Extract.:);)

clairelucas

COMMITTEE
erm... have only done this once I'm afraid, but nicked individual sachets of marmite while I was away for the weekend... So hopefully is free for the foreseeable future!
Worked really well though....

I just used nutrient agar. worked fine.