Storage of Enzymes

Can someone advise how i should be storing the following which are in powder form

Lipase
Trypsin
Pepsin

CLEAPS say cold ( Fridge) . Is that for made up solutions?

I'd agree with fridge for all of them, however when I started in my current job 14 years ago there was a tub of pepsin on the prep room shelf. It never failed to work and I sadly used the last of it this year. Admittedly my prep room never gets any more than warm but this stuff was amazing. Sadly the replacement doesn't seem to be so active and I've put it in the fridge because it said to on the bottle. Anyone else got some ancient reagents that are still going strong?

Found the old enzymes worked better than stuff bought nowadays.
Have sent amylase back in the past as supplier just kept saying "make it stronger", but there is a limit to how strong. so demanded refund and bought elsewhere.

always used liquid never got powder to work.

Last edited:
I've got bottles of liquid enzyme that are going strong over 10 years after they were bought. As for amylase, the previous tech always used powdered and it was always given up as a bad job that it never really worked. I switched to using liquid amylase and have never looked back.

Reactions: Kay

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
We have a bottle of bacterial amylase which, when I first started I was testing its activity before it went out to a teacher
I got distracted and it boiled, for nearly half an hour it boiled

And still worked :shocked:

Still use that bottle 10 years later

If I'm ever asked for boiled enzymes I always provide a beaker of water labelled 'boiled x/y/z' and explain that enzymes go clear when you boil them. Works perfectly every time. ;)

CovTech

Lvl 37 Alchemist
COMMITTEE
If I'm ever asked for boiled enzymes I always provide a beaker of water labelled 'boiled x/y/z' and explain that enzymes go clear when you boil them. Works perfectly every time. ;)
Heh we dunk a teabag so it goes almost the right colour usually

In my experience lipase doesn't seem to last well and if you accidentally leave some overnight at room temp it really stinks! I always make fresh. Trypsin also seems to lose it's potency over time so I have to test it before sending it out. Amylase - that's a different customer. The stuff from Timstar with Sodium chloride as extenders is phenomenally active. Can dilute to 0.01% & it still works extremely fast. Also doesn't seem to "go off" if made up days before hand. Catalase we get from biological sources - liver, potato or celery. Particularly like a celery extract expt where you dip squares of blotting paper in extract and drop into a boiling tube of peroxide. Bubbles form on paper surface and lift it to the surface of the peroxide. Needs trialling every time to get timing just right so that square drops to bottom of tube before enough bubbles form but gives great results when peroxide conc is the independent variable. For boiled enzymes I normally make up a much diluted version using some old stuff lurking in the back of the fridge before boiling. It then looks roughly the right colour in case teachers/students are actually awake enough to spot the difference. Hope this was useful info for someone.

Found the old enzymes worked better than stuff bought nowadays.
Have sent amylase back in the past as supplier just kept saying "make it stronger", but there is a limit to how strong. so demanded refund and bought elsewhere.

always used liquid never got powder to work.
I have some ancient go to enzymes that work really well. Terrified of finishing them up.