Staff leaving labs

I can't come up with a good answer to what is best: on one hand they could send a student to the prep room, but I don't always know what they are looking for/where it is, and it can really hold up the lesson if I am busy with something else/not in the prep room. It also doesn't account for if I am doing something I cannot leave alove, or if the item in question isn't in the prep room.
On the other hand, it is more efficient if the teacher collects it themselves, but then the students are left unsupervised in a lab which shouldn't happen at all.

Obviously, ideally they would turn up to their lessons fully prepared, but things do slip when everyone has such a high workload.

What happens in your schools when a teacher has forgotten something for a lesson? Do they send a pupil to get it, or leave the lab to fetch it themselves?

It's a combination of both. Sometimes they'll send a pupil but sometimes they'll come themselves. It's up to them to decide whether or not they leave the class unattended. They each have a phone in the labs too so they can always ring me. Whether or not I answer depends on what I'm doing. We often have LSA's in lessons too so the class isn't unattended if an adult leaves to come to the prep room.

usually a kid gets sent over. has happened on occasion that the teacher comes in. it is dependant on where they are teaching...im loathe to have the teachers in when they are in a lab and i always tell them to send a pupil so they can keep their eyes on the rest of class.
if i cant get something, cos I am in the middle of something I can leave, I will sometimes say it is not available. if it something the teacher has told them exactly what and where it is, I may let them get while watching like a hawk...

I'm going to suspect this depends on the geography of the building and the types of classes. My preproom is close to the 3 chem labs so I try to hover around at the beginning of a practical in case something else is needed. If the practical involves dangerous chemicals/flames etc, they'll send a student to me but come themselves if it's safe, if they need something.

I'm going to suspect this depends on the geography of the building and the types of classes. My preproom is close to the 3 chem labs so I try to hover around at the beginning of a practical in case something else is needed. If the practical involves dangerous chemicals/flames etc, they'll send a student to me but come themselves if it's safe, if they need something.
Our labs are all on one floor, but it is essentially a square with a cutout in the middle (there's a courtyard), so the prep room is only very close to one of the labs. This is more for non-practical things like tests/worksheets, if there is a practical happening and I've forgotten anything that is on me and I should know where to find it, so I try to make sure I am in the prep room in case they need help.

We have phones in each of the labs and the prep room so they just give us a quick call if they need something
We have very few phones around the school, certainly not at the point where each lab/classroom has one so unfortunately (or fortunately!) this isn't an option.

Usually a kid is sent. Often they don’t even know who “miss” or “sir” is, let alone what was requested. The lab that adjoins the prep room usually has sixth form so they pop in from there.

karen b

COMMITTEE
Usually a student is sent, sometimes a teacher nips down the corridor if they are in one of the upstairs labs. There are phones in each lab so some teachers will call us.

I never understood why they would send an urgent email. Until we had iPads we often only checked emails at the start and end of the day. One tech still only checks hers a few times a week.

There's two labs next to the prep room and two opposite, so they generally wave violently until I feel like moving. The labs upstairs either send a student (these are adults who are even worse than kids) or send an email.

Usually a kid is sent. Often they don’t even know who “miss” or “sir” is, let alone what was requested. The lab that adjoins the prep room usually has sixth form so they pop in from there.
I know! It still surprises me that kids don't know which room they are in, who the teacher is or which set they are in ( so we can look up who they are asking for)
We have a combination of both. makes me laugh when a teacher comes in to find something, starts chatting, then someone says, " Haven't you got a class?" Cue the, " Oh sh.....!"

No, they should not leave the class unattended in a lab.
I wish they abided by this... But some of them seem to take the opinion that it is better for them to spend 20 seconds out of the lab to grab something than 2 minutes waiting for a student to fetch it, only to find they (or I) didn't know where to look.

We have a science Whatsapp group so always getting messages from teachers wherever I am. It works well really but can be annoying sometimes when they want things the've forgotten to get themselves delivered to their rooms, you take it and then they remember something else they need an then another. Sometimes I wonder how teachers in the rest of the school cope without personal assistants!

Julie Delaney

COMMITTEE
I can't come up with a good answer to what is best: on one hand they could send a student to the prep room, but I don't always know what they are looking for/where it is, and it can really hold up the lesson if I am busy with something else/not in the prep room. It also doesn't account for if I am doing something I cannot leave alove, or if the item in question isn't in the prep room.
On the other hand, it is more efficient if the teacher collects it themselves, but then the students are left unsupervised in a lab which shouldn't happen at all.

Obviously, ideally they would turn up to their lessons fully prepared, but things do slip when everyone has such a high workload.

What happens in your schools when a teacher has forgotten something for a lesson? Do they send a pupil to get it, or leave the lab to fetch it themselves?
A mixture of both, depending on the teacher, some ring up for me to deliver it......