Springs for Thermal Conduction can

We have a copper can which you put hot water in the can and watch the springs fall.
Well I gave it out and it came back with a spring missing. Teacher insisted that it was like that when I gave it to her - as if!
Lightbulb moment whilst I was pegging out my washing and now three pegs have given up their springs in a good cause!

Me neither. Is it a kind of reusable crushing can? Can we have a photo?
I think I know what kaj is talking about.
It's a copper can like a giant calorimeter can with different metal rods stuck through the bottom. You stick something to the rods outside the can, fill it up with hot water and the things fall off as the heat conducts down, like a standard conduction rods practical. We just use drawing pins, but I believe originally there were little springs that go over the rod and slide down as the vaseline / wax melts.

IMG_20210618_140138.jpg
IMG_20210618_140141.jpg

I tried for a picture but couldn't find any, and as I was at home I could take a photo. The can above is more or less the same as ours. I have always done it with springs, never seen it with beads or drawing pins. We use drawing pins or paper clips on the rods. Oh well, you live and learn!

I tried for a picture but couldn't find any, and as I was at home I could take a photo. The can above is more or less the same as ours. I have always done it with springs, never seen it with beads or drawing pins. We use drawing pins or paper clips on the rods. Oh well, you live and learn!
We only use drawing pins because the springs are long gone :) I love your idea though, I'm definitely going to dismantle some pegs soon !

I couldn't find any pictures online either (probably because I didn't know what it was called !)