Sound experiment

Hello everyone,

Would creating something like this be possible?

Physics isn't my best subject, but if I can get my hand on some nice instructions I could follow I would give it a shot.

Anyone done this before?

karen b

COMMITTEE
Hello everyone,

Physics isn't my best subject, but if I can get my hand on some nice instructions I could follow I would give it a shot.

Anyone done this before?

I think we need some more details?

You can adapt . Very large speaker with a tight membrane across, cling film works ok, latex even better. Attach to a sig gen and put sand or cornflour & water on (non-newtonian fluid) You may need to mess with the consistency of the NNF to get it right but it does show altering the amplitude and frequency alters the 'wave' height and speed.

karen b

COMMITTEE
Do you have a vibration generator and signal generator? You can mount a metal plate flat on top of the vibration generator and do it that way.

If not you need a way of mounting a metal plate onto some sort of central support and then use a violin bow, as labmom mentions

Do you have a vibration generator and signal generator? You can mount a metal plate flat on top of the vibration generator and do it that way.

If not you need a way of mounting a metal plate onto some sort of central support and then use a violin bow, as labmom mentions
Yes we do! Where could one get a metal plate from?

Hello everyone,

Anyone done this before?
Have a look at MrQ The Science Guy, see how I measure the speed of sound!

karen b

COMMITTEE
You need a hole drilled in the middle, then it should screw onto the vibration generator.

Maybe there is already a square plastic plate with your vibration generator? We had one with our kit. It does work, but I think metal Ives a better resonance

Have a look at MrQ The Science Guy, see how I measure the speed of sound!

Hello everyone,

Anyone done this before?
Cheap Chladni plate. A metal cake tin lid, stick a Neodymium magnet in the middle. put a coil of ~20 turns ~32swg enameled wire and Sellotape it to the bench. You've basically made a loud speaker. Connect it to a sig gen and put some table salt on it, it should work.